This may well work!!

Old July 3rd 03, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eusty

Default This may well work!!

Yes it's that simple, it's called DNS!!!

Why put your machine in the DMZ?? If it's only HTTP & FTP you are running
then reduce the risks and only open the ports you need.

Buzz wrote:
OK guys, I need some info now to confirm things.

I have just got me a domain name for my server, and the nice chappy at
F9 has just pointed that domain name at my spare IP address.
(212.159.62.178) Now, he tells me that I need to do nothing in the
router, but set the TCP/IP settings for the server as follows.

IP Address (local) As per the machines local IP
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 212.159.62.178
DNS Server - as F9 DNS IP addresses

This, he tells me will send all www & FTP requests for the new domain
name to the server. Can it really be that simple? after all the
troubles I have been having? I find it hard to believe! but if true,
it only leaves me with the one problem, setting my main machine into
the dmz of the sar110 so that ports are open both ways!

--

(`._. All Outgoing Mail Scanned With Norton Anti-Virus 2003 ._.)