When will ADSL come down in price ?

Old July 3rd 03, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

Default When will ADSL come down in price ?

I realize there's been millions spend in investment blah de blah but when
does anyone think ADSL will be somthing like £12- 15 a month and cheaper
connection charge ? I think the current £64 is a bit of a rip off which you
have to pay for the cheaper monthly deals ie fast4 etc

--
Moderator of the AM Stereo Europe Forum

AM Stereo for the UK soon! Watch this space!!

Old July 4th 03, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

I realize there's been millions spend in investment blah de blah but
when does anyone think ADSL will be somthing like £12- 15 a month

It's not likely to. The prices for the Home 500 service may drop slightly in
future but we are unlikely to see any more dramatic price cuts.

BT are however starting a trial in September of a Home 250 service, which
will be a half speed, but cheaper, service. The likely price is unknown at
present.

Old July 4th 03, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:16:31 +0100, "Chris Jones"
wrote:

I realize there's been millions spend in investment blah de blah but
when does anyone think ADSL will be somthing like £12- 15 a month

It's not likely to. The prices for the Home 500 service may drop slightly in
future but we are unlikely to see any more dramatic price cuts.

BT are however starting a trial in September of a Home 250 service, which
will be a half speed, but cheaper, service. The likely price is unknown at
present.

BT will be renaming the dial-up modem service Home 56 soon.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old July 4th 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart

"Kráftéé" wrote in message

Well it will be no worse than NTL selling 170k connections as
broadband.....

If you look 5 years ahead folks will probably get 2mb for the similar levels
as 512/256kb today. 512/256kb will then be 'narrowband' to all but marketing
folk, a bit cheaper and probably only of interest to acute spendthrifts and
people a long way from the exchange.

Sadly groups.google.com will show how pessimistic/optimistic my prediction
will be....

--
Stuart

Old July 4th 03, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

If you look 5 years ahead folks will probably get 2mb for the similar
levels as 512/256kb today. 512/256kb will then be 'narrowband' to
all but marketing folk

Defaintely. Think about it - 5 years ago, ADSL didn't even exist in this
country. But now, the infrastructure is all in place, 70% of the country is
covered, and this is expanding all the time.

In 5 years time I'd say the 'normal' speed will definately have increased.

But what we really need to look at now is the next generation of
technology - whether it be VDSL or fibre to the home. ADSL is really only a
stop-gap solution to having real broadband.

Old July 4th 03, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

I realize there's been millions spend in investment blah de blah but when
does anyone think ADSL will be somthing like £12- 15 a month and cheaper
connection charge ? I think the current £64 is a bit of a rip off which you
have to pay for the cheaper monthly deals ie fast4 etc

Pipex provide ADSL connections for about £20 (+vat) and no connection charge. I
would say that the price is largely determined by BT's wholesale price which was
dramtatically reduced about 15 months ago. My guess is that there will not be
any more significant price reductions in the next few years.

Michael Chare

Old July 4th 03, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:39:19 UTC, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

Pipex provide ADSL connections for about £20 (+vat) and no connection charge. I
would say that the price is largely determined by BT's wholesale price which was
dramtatically reduced about 15 months ago. My guess is that there will not be
any more significant price reductions in the next few years.

The wholesale price was reduced by a smaller amount only two or three
months ago. Another 1.82 AFAIR, and the passed-on saving varied (with
PlusNet it was 1.00, with my ISP it was 2.00). Given that, I guess
another reduction of any significance is unlikely in the near future.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Old July 4th 03, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

"Draxen" wrote in message
"amstereofan" wrote in message
I realize there's been millions spend in investment blah de blah but

when
does anyone think ADSL will be somthing like £12- 15 a month and cheaper
connection charge ? I think the current £64 is a bit of a rip off which

you
have to pay for the cheaper monthly deals ie fast4 etc

I know we live in rip-off-Britain yada yada but I'm quite happy with the
current BB prices, cheaper would be good obviously but the current prices
seem acceptable, and I'm speaking as a long term unemployed here.
I know if you compare like with like most of Europe has a better deal than
us, especially the Scandanavian countries. But if you compare the earnings
of, say, a typical 30 year old in both countries I think you'll find we're
on a par with them. Factor in taxes, the cost of living, National

Insurance,
VAT, bills and groceries and I think the cost DSL takes a similar
per-centage of disposable incomes from both countries.
Not so many years ago I was paying around £300 per month for a 14.4kbps
leased line to the 'Net so you can imagine how I feel about paying less

than
10% of that for 40 times+ the speed.

What ????????????? On the dole and a 2MB connection ????!!!! How do you do
it mate ?!

Old July 5th 03, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic Pinto

amstereofan wrote:

I realize there's been millions spend in investment blah de blah but when
does anyone think ADSL will be somthing like £12- 15 a month and cheaper
connection charge ? I think the current £64 is a bit of a rip off which you
have to pay for the cheaper monthly deals ie fast4 etc

Most (domestic) deals around that I've seen are about £25 a month
including tax - certainly that's the rate with Pipex.

Who's paying £64? And for what?
Old July 5th 03, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaime

"amstereofan" wrote in message
I realize there's been millions spend in investment blah de blah but when
does anyone think ADSL will be somthing like £12- 15 a month and cheaper
connection charge ? I think the current £64 is a bit of a rip off which

you
have to pay for the cheaper monthly deals ie fast4 etc

Well given line rental for a telephone has been ~ £30 a quater for as long
as I can remember (although I not that old so not too long, I'm sur esomeone
can give some accurate figures), I can't seem ADSL being reduced much below
its current price unless BT thinks uptake will significantly increase or
OFTEL gives them a kick. Some one mentioned a 256k service sometime next
year, presumably to increase uptake, so that makes it even less likely to
see price reductions on the 512k service.

Jaime