Router + Networking

Old July 4th 03, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Default Router + Networking

Bob Iles wrote:

Broadband now up and running a dream on both PC's - but I am still able
to share files and printers. Like I said - not a problem, I just don't
understand how, given that the card settings are now different

I guess a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

This is all guesswork since you don`t give quite enough info to be
sure... but:

Sounds like the USB connection to the PC is actually a USB to Ethernet
bridge - hence it still looks like a network card to that PC. The router
may also be setup to do DHCP (i.e. hands out IP addresses to PCs that
ask for them). Hence its possible that you can plug the lot in and it
all auto configures... (the default setting for a new network card will
be to obtain its settings automatically - so when it asks for them the
router obliges).

spooky huh!

--
Cheers,