Metro Net - pay as you go DSL

Old July 4th 03, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rw

Default Metro Net - pay as you go DSL

I too am interested in Metronet, as are some friends.
I emailed them as follows, and they replied (very quickly i might add).
Just thought you mighy be interested. Any comments?

Hello,
Myself and several friends are very interested in your PayGoDSL service.
We wondered how you are able to sustain such a service when BT charge ISPs
15 per month for an ADSL service. Obviously, we don't want to invest in a
service that may terminate after a few months, and some ISPs have previously
offered such deals that become unsustainable. We would like to hear your
comments on this subject.
Also, what size backbone connection you have? Do you have plans to expand
your bandwidth? If so, when would you be planning to do so?

And the reply:

Without going into the commercial specifics we are able to offer this kind
of package on a realistic and long term basis because of the way the
packages work essentially.

There are no absolutes any ISP is able to provide given the situation where
others have fallen by the wayside as you have alluded but suffice to say we
are not a new company and have been providing ISP services since 1996 and
therefore we have given or approach very considered thought and planning
both on the implemention of the service and the infrastructure that it
operates on.

As the way in which our Broadband services work better allows to monitor
traffic requirements and usage at every point in the day we are better
equipped to cope with bandwidth on demand at the Network level as needs
dictate.

Ultmately as the service is the first of its kind in the UK we are as much
new to this as anyone else and are perfectly honest about this but given our
experience in the Internet Service field spanning 7 years we believe we have
packaged the new PAYGoDSL in such a way for it to be both sustainable and
viable long term.

Regards

Old July 4th 03, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rw

remember though that no email is included. It costs 7.50 + vat per year per
email address.

"Malcolm Burtt" wrote in message
Interesting. Thanks for posting that.

As I expect most of my broadband usage to be email and light web surfing,

think the Metronet deal could work out considerably cheaper than other
alternatives. I'm on really concerned that the old adage "You get what you
pay for" doesn't ring true in this case. In any case, their minimum

contract
is only 3 months, so I think I won't be too much out of pocket if their
service turns out to be pants. Given the length of the minimum contract
period, I'm guessing that they must be reasonably confident that they can
deliver or they'd want to try and tie their customers in for longer (or am

being cynical).

--
Malcolm Burtt

Remove "nospam" from domain name when replying.

Old July 4th 03, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rw

unless you really hitting mp3s etc, i thinked most users would be pushed at
downloading more than 5.5 GB every month, which is what you have to d/l to
hit the 23.99+vat price.
I am just monitoring my uploaded/downloaded data for a couple of weeks, but
you have to bear in mind that you may use the net more when you have a
better connection.
rob.

Old July 4th 03, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Hearn

No *incoming* email is provided... if you have a POP3 server elsewhere, then
you can use that. They do provide you with a SMTP server you can use to
send email out though.

Old July 4th 03, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Burtt

Yes, I know, but that still means you could pay as little 10.63 + VAT per
month when you factor in the cost of the POP3 mailbox. In any case, I quite
like the idea of using port995 for email regardless of which ISP I choose
given that it will mean I can keep the same email address for life instead
of changing each time my ISP upsets me.

Old July 4th 03, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:38, "rw" [email protected] wrote:

unless you really hitting mp3s etc, i thinked most users would be pushed at
downloading more than 5.5 GB every month...

Hmmm, without downloading any binaries, and only a few MB of PDFs, Windows
XP reports traffic on the network connection of 2.5 GB in 4 days of uptime.
I've not viewed any streaming video sources, but do listen to radio. Some
of the time I was connected via BT Midband, at 64k (just using up my first
and only tenner's worth of connect time - wanted to check it before giving
any client advice to try it :-)

I suppose Metronet would be unhappy at it being suggested as primarily a
'backup' connection, since they're no doubt expecting the bulk of users to
be exceeding the 15 pounds level, or making their loot from firms expecting
low usage on a high speed connection, (but then finding they like it and not
looking around for cheaper ISP service!). Peter M.
Old July 4th 03, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:31, "Malcolm Burtt" wrote:

In any case, I quite like the idea of using port995 for email regardless
of which ISP I choose given that it will mean I can keep the same email
address for life instead of changing each time my ISP upsets me.

I found fastmail.fm (lots of other domains) handy for in/out mail service
(one-off "membership" fee of about a tenner). Or get your own domain for
a few quid more and you really have something which doesn't depend on one
service provider (I may be wrong but a Google on port995 may find them as
the service which lost a load of mail within the last 15 months). Peter.
Old July 5th 03, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rw

do you mean that if i keep my current email provider, i can continue to send
and recieve email as normal on the standard service?

Old July 7th 03, 03:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 21:22, "rw" [email protected] wrote:

"David Hearn" wrote in message
No *incoming* email is provided... if you have a POP3 server elsewhere,
then you can use that. They do provide you with a SMTP server you can
use to send email out though.

do you mean that if i keep my current email provider, i can continue
to send and recieve email as normal on the standard service?

No. Outgoing mail could be sent on the Metronet service rather than your
existing SMTP server with your current ISP. Collecting mail using POP is
usually available whatever ISP you're connected to, though a few ISPs may
have their own blocking such that you must dial in on their service (0845
ISPs don;t, from my experience, but FreeNetName was one which used to do)

[ Post reformatted to have better follow-up order, and major trimming! ]