Any clever bod want to help?

Old July 4th 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jik Ronson

Default Any clever bod want to help?

Trust me - post in the solwise forum. You'll get an email quite quickly I'm
sure :-)

Once you set the rule - BTW - you have to commit it to keep it. Rules are
same for any other server, just alter the port and target machine :-) (and
increase the rule number)

"Buzz on Lappy" wrote in message
. ..
Wandered in and burbled at us:

Rule ID: pick a number
Rule Flavor: RDR
IF Name: ALL
Protocol: TCP
Local Address From: 192.168.7.45
Local Address To: 192.168.7.45
Global Address From: 0.0.0.0
Global Address To: 0.0.0.0
Destination Port From: 80
Destination Port To: 80
Local Port: 80

If your are stealthing ports to stop outsiders attacking the router

there
are other rules you will need. It is all covered in the solwise

forum - I've
been there and needed it myself :-)

AH! Now this is looking promising!!!

abject failure!
--
For Fun, Friends, fishwives, Tarts and a couple of Revs
http://www.free-n-easy.org.uk

For those that use the PC as a lifeline and contact point
http://revdaveb.force9.co.uk/forums/index.php

Old July 4th 03, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jik Ronson

I take it you have discovered if you try logging into a web server locally
you get the router admin page :-)

"Buzz" wrote in message
When I buzzed out of the hive I heard say...
Trust me - post in the solwise forum. You'll get an email quite quickly

I'm
sure :-)

Once you set the rule - BTW - you have to commit it to keep it. Rules

are
same for any other server, just alter the port and target machine :-)

(and
increase the rule number)

to be honest, I got better responses here than in solwise, but its sorta
up and running! (Well, the server is, now I am having FTP probs on my
main machine on a different external and internal IP)
--
Jest Buzzin around!

www.komputers4kids.co.uk recycle old computers for the children
www.goldenagecomputing.co.uk Recycle old copmputers for the seniors
http://free-n-easy.org.uk Fantastic forums with a family feel
http://www.global-lifeline.co.uk Trying out on my own server

Old July 4th 03, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jik Ronson

There is an issue with the router and messenger but it mostly affects file
transfer (basically - you cant). Ive got it working fine for messenger use
(as far as I know).

Can't quite see exactly what you are trying to achieve.

You would have 1 rule for forwarding port 80 (http)
and another rule to forward port 21 (ftp). This would allow the outside
world in (there is an additional default rule already in place that allows
you out)

This should allow http & ftp from the wan side of the router (public side).
It WONT work from inside the LAN. I'm not clever enough to say why or how.
An extra rule could probably be created that would allow you in.

What is the exact scenario you are trying to create?
"Buzz" wrote in message
When I buzzed out of the hive I heard say...
I take it you have discovered if you try logging into a web server

locally
you get the router admin page :-)

yup, did that, so set up hosts. Now my problem is I have no FTP access
on my other machine on my main IP, it always times out. I even set a
rule for port 21 on the .177 IP. It looks like I will never win! I
believe that my FTP server with host
www.global-lifeline.co.uk works,
and so does the site at the same www.address, but as I say, I now can no
longer use ANY ftp from my main machine (not the server) Also yahoo
messenge is sorta playing up, people can only message if they are on my
list. I may well have to give up completely!!! (not tested MSN messenger
or ICQ yet)
--
Jest Buzzin around!

www.komputers4kids.co.uk recycle old computers for the children (UK
Based)
www.goldenagecomputing.co.uk Recycle old copmputers for the seniors (UK
Based)
http://free-n-easy.org.uk Fantastic forums with a family feel (UK
Based)
http://www.global-lifeline.co.uk Meet with others that use their
computer as a lifeline ( Worldwide)

Old July 4th 03, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jik Ronson

Ah - me see - you need (roll the drums) another rule to allow outbound ftp
(i'm guessing here - should already be able to do it).

Try getting into my ftp server @
81.174.224.81 (user and pass = buzz) I'll kill the account in the morning.

I can then let you know if I get any activity inbound

"Buzz" wrote in message
When I buzzed out of the hive I heard say...
Can't quite see exactly what you are trying to achieve.

You would have 1 rule for forwarding port 80 (http)
and another rule to forward port 21 (ftp). This would allow the outside
world in (there is an additional default rule already in place that

allows
you out)

This should allow http & ftp from the wan side of the router (public

side).
It WONT work from inside the LAN. I'm not clever enough to say why or

how.
An extra rule could probably be created that would allow you in.

people can FTP to my site on the server, but its on my main machine,
(not the server) that I cannot FTP, when I try to connect to an FTP
site, (ie F9) it either hangs or cannot resolve hostname

Old July 4th 03, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Buzz

When I buzzed out of the hive I heard say...
When I buzzed out of the hive I heard
say...
When I buzzed out of the hive I heard
say...
Ah - me see - you need (roll the drums) another rule to allow outbound ftp
(i'm guessing here - should already be able to do it).

Done that

Try getting into my ftp server @
81.174.224.81 (user and pass = buzz) I'll kill the account in the morning.

Hanging around there even as I type

I can then let you know if I get any activity inbound

OK

I'm in, painfully slow, but it seems to be working... And you dont need
to kill the account

Try
www.global-lifeline.co.uk U = freeneasy P = acuf

Ok, on yours, slow, but worked. However on F9 and another, it tells me
getting listing then OK, then times out!

Old July 4th 03, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Buzz

[...]

I invoked plan B, a reboot of my main machine. Now everything is good
except I cannot get into my own FTP, its resolving to the wrong IP, (The
one I had when I was on the 3com) I may have set it wrong on the router

Old July 4th 03, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jik Ronson

"Buzz" wrote in message I'm in, painfully slow, but it
seems to be working... And you dont need
to kill the account

Of course I do - I've posted the details in a public forum!

Think you are there. The next stage that will make you cry is SECURING the
router. Try this tool:

http://grc.com/default.htm

And go to sheilds up - gives a basic idea of how safe/secure it is - make
SURE you at least change the password. This then creates a whole new ball
game.

There is a good article on stealthing out unnecessary ports but if you
follow this you need to add firewall rules to let http/ftp through in
addition to the nat rules.

http://www.chrismarsh.co.uk/sar110/stealth.asp

Glad you got it pretty much sorted :-)

Old July 4th 03, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Buzz

When I buzzed out of the hive I heard say...

"Buzz" wrote in message I'm in, painfully slow, but it
seems to be working... And you dont need
to kill the account

Of course I do - I've posted the details in a public forum!

Think you are there. The next stage that will make you cry is SECURING the
router. Try this tool:

http://grc.com/default.htm

And go to sheilds up - gives a basic idea of how safe/secure it is - make
SURE you at least change the password. This then creates a whole new ball
game.

There is a good article on stealthing out unnecessary ports but if you
follow this you need to add firewall rules to let http/ftp through in
addition to the nat rules.

http://www.chrismarsh.co.uk/sar110/stealth.asp

Glad you got it pretty much sorted :-)

well I am almost there, except I cannot get in to my own FTP server.
Heres this bit from the logs of my ftp client

331 Password required for freeneasy
COMMAND: PASS *****
230 User successfully logged in.
STATUS: Login successful.
COMMAND: PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
STATUS: Home directory: /
COMMAND: FEAT
502 Command not implemented - Try HELP.
STATUS: This site doesn't support the 'features' command.
COMMAND: REST 100
350 Restarting at 100.
STATUS: This site can resume broken downloads.
COMMAND: REST 0
350 Restarting at 0.
COMMAND: PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,200,200,4,0). *****
COMMAND: LIST
STATUS: Connecting ftp data socket 192.168.200.200:1024... *****

OK, I have put ***** where the problem starts. This is the OLD local IP
address, it should be 192.168.7.200

I have corrected my hosts file, Outsiders can get in, and, as you see, I
can get in until that point, then it all goes belly up! The router RDR
rules are correct. I am stumped!