ADSL Line keeps dropping on a fax transmission

Old July 4th 03, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Default ADSL Line keeps dropping on a fax transmission

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:08:43 +0100, Les Desser wrote:

A client has recently installed ADSL on their fax line. However,
whenever a fax is sent or received the ADSL line drops.

Using a DG814. Suspecting a faulty filter, they installed a BT ADSL
master socket from Clarity - still the same.

They have now tried a different fax machine and still the same.

Anyone experienced this problem and fixed it?

Thanks.

Sound like the fax machine is faulty. Probably causing line noise.
Is the fax machine correctly earthed?

graham

Old July 4th 03, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jik Ronson

"Graham" wrote in message
"A client has recently installed ADSL on their fax line. However whenever a
fax is sent or received the ADSL line drops."

Installed many ADSL on fax and on two occasions had trouble. Is the line
(PSTN) noisy at all (crackling) or working perfectly? Plug in a telephone,
dial 17070 and select option 2 (Quiet line). Listen to it for a bout a
minute. Should be crackle free. This may seem unrelated to the ADSL dropping
out but it's a funny beast. ADSL will work with 1 leg of the line open (or
poorly connected). but it will error a great deal on and off - most notably
when a call is attempted or comes in.

Just eliminate the possibility of a line fault before you throw the fax
away.

Old July 5th 03, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

"Graham" wrote in message
"A client has recently installed ADSL on their fax line. However
whenever a fax is sent or received the ADSL line drops."

Installed many ADSL on fax and on two occasions had trouble. Is the
line (PSTN) noisy at all (crackling) or working perfectly? Plug in a
telephone, dial 17070 and select option 2 (Quiet line). Listen to it
for a bout a minute.

Just a small appendum, listen for as long as you can bare it, some
noise faults are very intermitent & can take 10's of minutes to show,
as I found to my cost & my lev.1 wonders why I only do 2 jobs a day
somedays...

Should be crackle free. This may seem unrelated
to the ADSL dropping out but it's a funny beast. ADSL will work with
1 leg of the line open (or poorly connected). but it will error a
great deal on and off - most notably when a call is attempted or
comes in.

Just eliminate the possibility of a line fault before you throw the
fax away.

Having said that, there are cases why the manufacturers state that
they aren't compatable so see if you can find anything on the
manufacturers web site.

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old July 5th 03, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

2 Jobs a day. Jesus slow down man. I suppose SMT has you working
that
hard.....

Shhh, you never know who's watching ;-|
--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old July 5th 03, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Graham
writes
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:08:43 +0100, Les Desser wrote:

A client has recently installed ADSL on their fax line. However,
whenever a fax is sent or received the ADSL line drops.

Using a DG814. Suspecting a faulty filter, they installed a BT ADSL
master socket from Clarity - still the same.

They have now tried a different fax machine and still the same.

Anyone experienced this problem and fixed it?

Thanks.

Sound like the fax machine is faulty. Probably causing line noise.

I have asked them to test with an other fax machine and they claim they
have the same problem.

Is the fax machine correctly earthed?

Good question. They are in an old warehouse and who knows what state
their electrical wiring is in.

I will ask them to check out whether the same problem arises if they use
an ordinary phone in place of the fax.

--
Les Desser
Old July 6th 03, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dion L Heap

"Les Desser" ] wrote in message
In article , Jik Ronson
writes

I have noticed when checking the status of the router, that the upload
speed, instead of 256 was showing 64 and I just checked again on line
and it was showing 128. It has shown 256 in the past as well. Is it
correct to assume that line noise will make the router fall back to a
lower speed?

No, but the statement above rang some serious alarm bells for me, I was with
BTO for around 2 years with broadband, admittedly I didn't have a fax BUT,
the upload speed drop was an issue I had, it took BT over 3 months to sort
out the problems including 3 visits from engineers, to get it sorted I
eventually had to take up the formal complaints procedure against BTO, I
can't actually tell you what the fault was as I was never informed, but as
well as the slow upload speeds I was getting up to 6 line drops a day, it
would line drop and then reconnect with an upload speed of 128, sometimes it
would stay at 128 until the line card was reset at the exchange, (not the
local one, but one further up the line). When I say slow upload speeds of
128 I mean that the router/modem used to show it was connected at 576/128 as
opposed to 576/285, not the results of a speed test, however speed test did
obviously used to show up crap. Therefore it seems like it may be worthwhile
chasing up this avenue as opposed to the line noise issue.

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

Old July 6th 03, 03:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dion L Heap

"Buzz" wrote in message

Dont I remember a time when BT were throttling ADSL during peak hours?
or am I mistaken?

No, they were throttling ports, ie those that certain file sharing software
uses, they were accused of it and denied it, they were eventually found out,
to find out more search "BTO port throttling" but this is a completely
different issue.

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

Old July 6th 03, 08:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Buzz
writes

Dont I remember a time when BT were throttling ADSL during peak hours?
or am I mistaken?

This is in fact a problem with a Demon line
--
Les Desser
Old July 6th 03, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Dion L Heap
writes

"Les Desser" ] wrote in message
[...]

So we will get the line checked out. Thanks.
--
Les Desser
Old July 6th 03, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Uncle Wobbly

You have Rate Adaptive DSL my old mate! (RADSL) Normal ADSL will not fall
back it just stops

this is a form of DSL that allows the upstream speed to fall back (exactly
as you have seen) when the line is ****ty and can't support the top banana.
Downstream (to you) will stay at the 512K as it is in a higher frequency
band which isn't affected quite so much - unless it gets *really* bad. Think
of it like Satellite telly - you don't need a strong signal but the quality
has to be reasonable. The lower frequency (upstream) band isn't as tolerant.

I also have RADSL as I am outside the limit, but I don't get the fall back
(never seen it anyway). I think RADSL is only what ZEN put in now (other
than the higher speeds and SDSL) as it covers all eventualities - Zen?