Line Noise

Old July 4th 03, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Uncle Wobbly

Default Line Noise

worth mentioning here... I have a "higher than acceptable" level (I am 5.66
KM from the exchange) but I had mine put in by an engineer when ADSL was
still quite novel. I failed the woosh test but the dsl was there and worked
and the engineer said that if it was a problem "they'd have to come and take
it out" 20months later, still here and fine...

My point here is that if you contact BT about it and you are over the top,
they are very quick to fall back on the Ts&Cs and just take it out as a
quick fix - they are fault-report orientated, and as long as the fault goes
away, they don't really mind what the cure was - a bit like removing
someones head to cure migraine.

"Chris Bond" wrote in message
Thanks for clearing that up Graham, i'll sleep a lot better tonight.

Thanks again

Chris

"Graham" wrote in message
news

There is probably more info about what these figures are drom Dlink,
but as I see them 68dB (which is actually -68dB) is the receive level of
the ADSL signal. The router's transmit level is -31dB, that's the output
of the ADSL signal to line. Which would indicate a line loss of aprox

31dB.
The signal to noise ratio (SNR) is 4.5dB which doesn't sound a lot but

the
dB scale is logrythmic so 4.5dB means the signal is about 4 to 5 times
louder than the line moise and your line is about 4.2km long.

Your broadband is fine and healthy... enjoy it!

graham

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 20:46:04 +0100, Chris Bond wrote:

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to the tech side of broadband.

Through various post and articles I've heard that line noise should'nt

be
over 55db for a good BB service.

So imagine my concern when I saw this summary page while logged into

the
Dlink 504 router i'm using.

Protocol ADSL State Showtime
Data Path Fast
Operation Mode G.DMT

Downstream Upstream
Line Status ADSL Link Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
SNR 4.5 dB -
ATEN 68 dB 31 dB
Line Error ADSL layer FEC 6 0
CRC 130 618
ATM layer HEC 33 277
Frame Counter 163392 156961

Loop Distance: About 14 K ft.

The 68db figure is the problem, is this line noise?

Can I do anything about it?

If my BB works is it a case of "it works don't worry about it"?

Thanks for any help

Chris