Replacing Attenna On Wireless Access Point

Old July 5th 03, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default Replacing Attenna On Wireless Access Point

Nigel Mercier wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Dean wrote:

i found this, http://www.wireless.org.au/~jhecker/helix/helical.html

I'd be worried about the SWR of home-brew designs, too high and it can
blow up the transmitter.

I don't think these 50mW transmitters are that prone to blowing up

Old July 5th 03, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Nigel Mercier wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I'd be worried about the SWR of home-brew designs, too high and it can
blow up the transmitter.

I don't think these 50mW transmitters are that prone to blowing up

A matter of scale, surely? I think a small power FET would get very
cross about having a bunch of signal rammed up its output.

Perhaps not "blow up" as such, only a small but just audible "phut!" ;-)

No, Not even that. If the output stage is a 50mW one, and its either
going up the aerial or into heat in the tranny, together with any
adverse power/oltage/current phase relationships, what I meant was there
is not much out there that CAN'T do 50mW! It owoild have to be a very
snmall device indeed in total area that would be in problems at that
power. I cannot offahnd THIONK of a chip I ever came across that
couldn't do 50mW even in air, let alone bonded to a circuit board :-)