Line Noise

Old July 5th 03, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Default Line Noise

"Chris Bond" wrote in message
I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to the tech side of broadband.

Through various post and articles I've heard that line noise should'nt be
over 55db for a good BB service.
So imagine my concern when I saw this summary page while logged into the
Dlink 504 router i'm using.
Protocol ADSL State Showtime
Data Path Fast
Operation Mode G.DMT
Downstream Upstream
Line Status ADSL Link Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
SNR 4.5 dB -
ATEN 68 dB 31 dB
Loop Distance: About 14 K ft.
The 68db figure is the problem, is this line noise?
Can I do anything about it?
If my BB works is it a case of "it works don't worry about it"?

Thanks for any help

Chris

Exactly the same as mine Chris however I KNOW I am 7k away from the
exchange. I shouldn't have it, it shouldn't work (in fact with a USB Fuji it
doesnt work during the hours of darkness) but with my DSL-504 its spot on.
Its not a spurious reading as I can move it 1/2 mile across site to my mates
where it reads -60dB and 6.5dB. It was him that suggested I get a 504 when I
had my initial problems.

If it works dont worry, dont report the fact that it MAY have a low level
problem as they may find you are too far away and threaten you with
cessation as they did with me.

Rgds
JD