Extention cabling

Old July 5th 03, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Cawood

Default Extention cabling

If I had broadband installed at home, what type of cable & extention sockets
would I need?
Mike

---
Old July 5th 03, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

If I had broadband installed at home, what type of cable & extention sockets
would I need?

Normal ones
Old July 5th 03, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Uncle Wobbly

usual telephone stuff... the usual solution is then to put a "micro-filter"
in EVERY socket which splits off the telephone and DSL components, you just
plug your DSL modem in wherever required in one side of the filter, and all
your telephones go in the other side on all the other filters - be warned -
Sky boxes can really phuq things up - even with a filter!

You can get a special front (lower half) of the NTE5A which has a filter in
it - this then has two sockets, one for a telephone and the other (RJ11) for
a DSL modem. The extension wiring is then run from the filtered side of this
socket to all other sockets in the house and you don't need micro-filters -
this is more involved but tidier.

Old July 6th 03, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In an article dated Sun, 6 Jul 2003 14:20:22 +0000 (UTC),
Declan Moriarty made the earth move by saying......

"Uncle Wobbly" wrote in message
SNIP
You can get a special front (lower half) of the NTE5A which has a filter

in
it - this then has two sockets, one for a telephone and the other (RJ11)

for
a DSL modem. The extension wiring is then run from the filtered side of

this
socket to all other sockets in the house and you don't need

micro-filters -
this is more involved but tidier.

You then can only use the DSL modem at the master socket with the new
faceplate!

No you can't. You can run an extension from the RJ11 to wherever you
wish.

Also if you move you are leaving it for the next person who come
in. Microfilters, while not the prettiest things in the world are far more
flexible!

If you move, you replace YOUR faceplate with the original.

--
Mugwump

To reply, replace INVALID with pipex{dot}com
Old July 6th 03, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"Declan Moriarty" wrote:

snip
So if your master socket is downstairs and you have an extension upstairs,
whith the faceplate solution you have to run an RJ11 cable (ADSL
modem/router cable) from the socket downstairs to the computer upstairs.
This seems a waste since there is already cable going from the master

socket
to the phone extension upstairs. The filters on each socket seems a far
better solution is this respect than the alternative (and possibly

cheaper!)
Also it is far less difficult since you just plug filters in rather than
changing socket wiring. I use filters on each phone sicket and it works
fine. Also my sister does the same. This idea of changing the faceplate
sounds daft, and is far more inflexible.

People who had the engineere install had no choice about this but people

on
Plug and Go don't have to bother with this inferior solution.

Although I agree that having the filter in the master socket is less
flexible, it depends on the installation as to whether it is an inferior
solution.
In my case for example, I had no telephone socket in the room where I wanted
the broadband router to be. So I had to run new wiring either way. I
re-routed the cable to the room where my router goes (by moving the master
socket into the spare bedroom) then had the installation done. This was an
original engineer install, but as I now have the master socket in the right
place, I don't have to use additinal filters on each phone outlet.
So it's horses for courses really, either way works fine, but personal
choice is the decider as to which is best in each situation.

--

Martin
Old July 6th 03, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In an article dated Sun, 6 Jul 2003 18:00:23 +0000 (UTC),
[...]

I was merely correcting your erroneous statements.

Old July 7th 03, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AW Barton

"Mike Cawood" wrote in message
If I had broadband installed at home, what type of cable & extention sockets
would I need?
Mike

Thank you for all your replies.
Mike.