5.5 km from an exchange

Old July 5th 03, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
was gio, now vinnieza

Default 5.5 km from an exchange

when they say a place within 5.5km of a broadband enabled exchange. do they
mean from the very edge of the exchange or from the centre of the exchange?
thanx

Old July 5th 03, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

when they say a place within 5.5km of a broadband enabled exchange.
do they mean from the very edge of the exchange or from the centre

of
the exchange? thanx

depends on which way the crows are flying...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old July 5th 03, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Uncle Wobbly

it isn't about physical distance really - that is just a guide line to how
much copper wire there is between you and the exchange. You could be a lot
closer but because of the cable routing, still be on the limit... a mate of
mine lives on a new estate in Brackley (Northamptonshire... evening J) and
because of where the feed was taken, he is border line (but got it) when
he, in his words, "could spit on the exchange from here" - in actuality
about 3 Km. in a direct line. Just unfortunate his feed goes down the round
and around the town before heading back to the exchange. Telephone cables
seldom go across fields etc... they need to be where the buildings are in
order to get maximum servicability from BT's investment in "copper in the
ground" and so will follow the roads round the fields, adding kms

Old July 6th 03, 05:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"was gio, now vinnieza" wrote in
message ...
when they say a place within 5.5km of a broadband enabled

exchange. do they
mean from the very edge of the exchange or from the centre

of the exchange?
thanx

Neither, it's a guide to the cable distance from you to the
exchange. You could live next door to the exchange and still
be over 5kms away, cable wise ;-)
The 5.5km isn't a fixed figure, the deciding factor, in
almost all cases will be line loss, and generally, at 5.5km
the loss is approaching maximum.

P.

Old July 6th 03, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
was gio, now vinnieza

"Rev Adrian Kennard" wrote in message
was gio, now vinnieza wrote:
when they say a place within 5.5km of a broadband enabled exchange. do

they
mean from the very edge of the exchange or from the centre of the

exchange?

Given that the "exchange" is probably a couple of racks, a few metres
square, I can't see it makes a big difference where you measure from!

It is the loss on the line, and a few other factors, which is equivilant
to a line length of 5.5Km.

--
_ Rev. Adrian Kennard, Andrews & Arnold Ltd
(_) _| _ . _ _ ADSL, fixed IP, monthly contract http://adsl.ms/

I'm just dumb, I thought the exchange was the place that had it e.g the
town. :-( I bow my head in shame.

Old July 6th 03, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 21:49:00 +0100, "Kráftéé"
wrote:

depends on which way the crows are flying...

No, it depends on the length of the cable route from you to the
exchange.

Wrong again, it depends on the actual cable between you & the exchange
not length & starting from the premise of a stupid question, just why
can't I post an equally stupid answer...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old July 6th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tickettyboo

In ,
Graham in Melton whispered softly in my ear ....:
As an exchange is generally about 20 yards across (maximum) it makes
no difference.

The physical size of the exchange is actually irrelevant though, as
its the distance from the connection frame that matters, and before
you ask, its right next to the exchange ...

Why the fixation with the distance ?

Possibly because it is the terminology that BT use on their availability
checker?
quote
Your exchange has broadband ADSL. However, the length of the telephone
line between you and the exchange is too long for broadband ADSL.
/quote
If they mean that the quality of the line is not up to the required
standard for adsl then they should say so :-)
--
Ticketty᧧

Old July 6th 03, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

[...]

& then people would be up in arms because their line is not up to
'standard'. Let's face it no matter which way round it is BT will
always be in for a kicking as there would always be one group of
people or another bemaoning their lot saying it's unfair etc...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old July 6th 03, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In an article dated Sun, 6 Jul 2003 20:42:34 +0100,
Tickettyboo made the earth move by saying......

In ,
Graham in Melton whispered softly in my ear ....:
As an exchange is generally about 20 yards across (maximum) it makes
no difference.

The physical size of the exchange is actually irrelevant though, as
its the distance from the connection frame that matters, and before
you ask, its right next to the exchange ...

Why the fixation with the distance ?

Possibly because it is the terminology that BT use on their availability
checker?
quote
Your exchange has broadband ADSL. However, the length of the telephone
line between you and the exchange is too long for broadband ADSL.
/quote
If they mean that the quality of the line is not up to the required
standard for adsl then they should say so :-)

I think it is to stave off complaints from people about the quality of
the line. Saves having to explain, and probably argue, that they only
have to provide a line capable of taking voice and fax. ADSL being a
bonus. If you tell people that something is not of good enough quality,
they will expect it to be sorted out, thanks to the current attitude of
'I want it now and I want the best regardless'.

Your average Joe Public sees distance limits as black and white, however
mention quality and things become very subjective and emotive.
--
Mugwump

To reply, replace INVALID with pipex{dot}com