Adding a wireless connection

Old July 6th 03, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thomas

Default Adding a wireless connection

Hi guys

I would appreciate a little assistance. I have the D-Link DSL 504 up and
running with a home network but I now need to connect up a laptop and would
like to use a wireless approach.

What kit can I get to plug into the back of the router to enable the
wireless connection? the laptop will be the other end of the house

Any help is appreciated

thanx

Phil

Old July 6th 03, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Uncle Wobbly

Any standard Wireless acces point should do this - The best approach (as you
already have a LAN and DSL router) as this will just plug into your
ethernet. You can then choose from a plethora of PCMCIA cards, USB pods
etc... Whether it will work at the other end of the house is a different
story - that all depends on floors, walls (and what they are made of) filing
cabinets .... the list goes on.

From my own experiences I have found the range can be fabulous or
dissappointing with *VERY* pronounced dead spots... as an example, I can
place my laptop on the coffe table in the living room and have no signal -
nothing... I move it 6 inches further along and it springs up to 80-90% !!!!
go figure! Also, I take my laptop to a neighbouring building, through walls
and about 100 feet away, and I have coverage (not brilliant but stable)

What does happen is that because you are connecting to a LAN you can put the
WAP further away on the end of a long ethernet cable - seems absolutely
daft, augmenting your WLAN with cable but you may have to, to cover the
area - it could be that where you *want* to site it just isn't suitable.

Overall, I am ambivalent about my WLAN... generally it does what I want but
short of resiting the WAP I find myself getting stressy about the lack of
coverage right where I am. I can't say I am "happy" with it.

Your milage might vary - see if you can borrow a (good, really really good)
friends set-up and if it performs, get the same gear then you can be
reasonably certain about what you are getting into without shelling out a
ton and being disappointed.