Lost usb modem functionality on home network

Old July 6th 03, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Noga

Default Lost usb modem functionality on home network

I've just installed a new NIC on another machine to this one and decided to
network the two up using a crossover cable so I ran the windows XP network
setup wizard to set up internet connection sharing and file sharing. On
completion I'd completely lost the functionality of my USB modem. For some
reason although the config software was saying it was trained and waiting,
when I clicked on the dial-up icon it kept coming up with an error saying
that the modem was busy or couldn't be found. Going back to an earlier
system restore point fixed this. Has anyone else had problems like this
before? Can anyone suggest why this is?

Thanks,
Paul

Old July 6th 03, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 11:27:47 +0100, "Paul Noga"
wrote:

I've just installed a new NIC on another machine to this one and decided to
network the two up using a crossover cable so I ran the windows XP network
setup wizard to set up internet connection sharing and file sharing. On
completion I'd completely lost the functionality of my USB modem. For some
reason although the config software was saying it was trained and waiting,
when I clicked on the dial-up icon it kept coming up with an error saying
that the modem was busy or couldn't be found. Going back to an earlier
system restore point fixed this. Has anyone else had problems like this
before? Can anyone suggest why this is?

I don't know why that happened, but the setup wizard is pretty
pointless. Setup the NIC of the machine with the ADSL as 192.168.0.1
(Subnet 255.255.255.0) and the client machine as 192.168.0.2. Then in
the properties of the dial up networking of the ADSL connection,
enable connection sharing. The default gateway (and DNS I think) of
the client machine should then be set to 192.168.0.1 and it should all
work.

Andrew.