Experiement : hardware survey

Old July 6th 03, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

Default Experiement : hardware survey

Hi all,

I've just setup a very quick survey at http://shorl.com/benadrulykete
which asks a couple of questions about what broadband hardware is
being used by users, what ISP, what OS etc etc etc.

I would like to see the results from what users are actually using,
and when sufficient data is in the database, I will release a querying
page where you could filter down on any of the fields and see what
combinations other users are using out there .. similar to the
MadOnion system that is used for Gamers.

I am open to suggestions if you feel that some fields need to be
altered / removed / added etc

That URL again is http://shorl.com/benadrulykete

So, if you can wack your details in (no personal information is
required, not even an email address) this could be an interesting
system.

Cheers
Andy
--
Andy Jenkins
www.btofaq.net
Old July 6th 03, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In an article dated Sun, 06 Jul 2003 17:23:34 +0100,
Andy Jenkins made the earth move by saying......

[...]

You need to have a look at where it goes after you click submit. I get a
page not found.
--
Mugwump

To reply, replace INVALID with pipex{dot}com
Old July 6th 03, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 17:28:30 +0100, Mugwump
wrote:

You need to have a look at where it goes after you click submit. I get a
page not found.

No matter how much testing you do there is always something eh? Fixed
it now .. with a simple "thanks for your submission" text. Thanks for
telling me though .. appriciated.

--
Andy Jenkins
www.btofaq.net
Old July 6th 03, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

Shouldn't the 'Firmware version if known' allow you to enter data ? It is
currently a tick box, which seems to make no sense. Or have I
mis-understood the purpose of the box ?

--

Martin
Old July 6th 03, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 18:11:38 +0100, Martin Cooper
wrote:

Shouldn't the 'Firmware version if known' allow you to enter data ? It is
currently a tick box, which seems to make no sense. Or have I
mis-understood the purpose of the box ?

Hi Martin ..

The 'original' purpose of this question was to establish if users are
using the *latest* firmware version (where available), but your
question raises the fact that it would be far better and more
meaningful to simply list what version of firmware is installed.

I will get this changed for the next release of this tool.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Andy Jenkins
www.btofaq.net
Old July 6th 03, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

wrote:

Shouldn't the 'Firmware version if known' allow you to enter data ? It is
currently a tick box, which seems to make no sense. Or have I
mis-understood the purpose of the box ?

Ignore my other update .. I've changed it .. it would've resulted in
too much irrelevant data in the DB otherwise. Thanks again

--
Andy Jenkins
www.btofaq.net
Old July 6th 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Andy Jenkins" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Getting picky for a mo, combination has a "b" in it ;-)

P.

Old July 7th 03, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Swift

In article , Andy Jenkins
writes
Because readers here appeared to be willing enough to submit the data
requested in the first place, I dont want to waste too much of peoples
time, in the faint possibility that they would need to re-enter the data
again. Granted the data requested was not alot and the process was
quick and easy, but some people can be fickle at the best of times eh?
)

I'll get working on a proper system that can accomodate change ASAP.

A gentleman on usenet, I'm impressed, so many people post this sort of
thing and then totally ignore the people who reply or try too, thanks
for the information why I couldn't fill in your questionnaire, you might
even start a trend as an honest usenet poster, but I doubt it :-)

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange