Building my own wireless ADSL modem/router

Old July 6th 03, 06:30 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.os.linux,uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Eden

Default Building my own wireless ADSL modem/router

As I can't find a combined 802.11g/ethernet routher/ADSL modem, I thought
I'd try and roll my own.

If I get a cheapo PC and shove in...

a Belkin PCI 802.11g card
(http://www.redstore.com/fx/techinfo....code=BELNET173)
and a Conexant PCI ADSL modem
(http://www.redstore.com/fx/techinfo....code=CNEFAX001)

Would this work as an wireless router for my broadband connection?

I'm going to start off by using WinXP but then migrate it to Linux (just for
fun!) - what 11g cards and ADSL modems work best with Linux?

Any advice appreciated.

Terry
(Followups set to uk.telecom.broadband)

Old July 6th 03, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Draxen

"Terry Eden" wrote in message
As I can't find a combined 802.11g/ethernet routher/ADSL modem, I thought
I'd try and roll my own.

If I get a cheapo PC and shove in...

a Belkin PCI 802.11g card
(http://www.redstore.com/fx/techinfo....code=BELNET173)
and a Conexant PCI ADSL modem
(http://www.redstore.com/fx/techinfo....code=CNEFAX001)

Would this work as an wireless router for my broadband connection?

I'm going to start off by using WinXP but then migrate it to Linux (just

for
fun!) - what 11g cards and ADSL modems work best with Linux?

It should work yeah, personally I'd just do it with Linux right off. WinXP
is okay for games, multimedia and general eye candy but this needs a grown
up O/S.
The Belkin should work out of the box with most recent (6 months) Linux
distro's. There's a HOWTO on the Conexant, can't remember the URL, by all
reports it seems to work nicely. I've been running a similar setup for over
two years now, just using different kit. My kit's based on an old P166
running Redhat 7.2 and it's fast, stable, secure and free. Hmmm, I've made
trickier choices than that in the past

Old July 6th 03, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian G Batten

In article ,
Terry Eden wrote:
As I can't find a combined 802.11g/ethernet routher/ADSL modem, I thought
I'd try and roll my own.

Setting up Linux as an AP is doable, but not a five second job. I don't
think it's at all easy with XP. I rolled my own DSL router and firewall
from Linux with ipchains and the userspace Frog support, but bought a
dumb AP --- when an 802.11X card is of the order of fifty quid, and a
base station is less than a hundred, it just doesn't seem worth the
effort.

ian
Old July 6th 03, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

I am using a dedicated firewall box ( www.ipcop.org ) with ethernet ADSL
link and a wireless router attached to the other side of the firewall - I
use a standard Linksys 802.11g router with an ethernet connection but any
should work ok.

Old July 7th 03, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

How about instead of a Belkin PCI 802.11g card you use a PCI NIC connected
to a hub and then a 802.11g AccessPoint connected to the hub. This setup
allows more wireless and wired connections if later desired.

Old July 10th 03, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

"Terry Eden" wrote in message ...
As I can't find a combined 802.11g/ethernet routher/ADSL modem, I thought
I'd try and roll my own.

If I get a cheapo PC and shove in...

a Belkin PCI 802.11g card
(http://www.redstore.com/fx/techinfo....code=BELNET173)
and a Conexant PCI ADSL modem
(http://www.redstore.com/fx/techinfo....code=CNEFAX001)

Would this work as an wireless router for my broadband connection?

I'm going to start off by using WinXP but then migrate it to Linux (just for
fun!) - what 11g cards and ADSL modems work best with Linux?

PCI ADSL modems are notoriously hard to find drivers for under Linux -
a year or two ago, it simply wasn't possible. I see from this
http://tinyurl.com/givg search that there are links explaining how to
do this under Linux, so it's surely do-able, but I doubt if I'd
describe the process as "just fun!"

If you're not happy recompiling your kernel under Linux, then forget
it. Unix (Linux) often takes some messing around & learning to get set
up - it can often be quite bewildering and a pain - but compensates
for this in reliability. I regularly get uptimes on my server of 100+
days - I only ever seem to power it down for hardware changes.

A Linux system will be immensely more reliable than WinXP, but
although cheaper than an all-in-one off-the-shelf hardware solution,
there is still more to go wrong with it than a stand-alone router.

Stroller.
Old July 10th 03, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

Have a look at www.ipcop.org this is a Linux firewall that will work with
internal PCI ADSL modem cards ( or external - USB or ethernet ) and you can
put a ethernet wireless access point on it