ADSL and caller display

Old July 4th 03, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

Default ADSL and caller display

Hi all,

I have been using my connexant PCI ADSL modem for months now, and have had
no troubles with the caller display on my NTL badged DECT phone. All of a
sudden the phone won't display the caller's number.

Rang BT and they got back in touch a few hours later.

"No problems at our end" he said
"why does it not work?" I replied
"ADSL does not work with Caller ID"
"It has for a few months now"
"What have you changed?" he asked
"Nothing, What have you changed at the exchange?"
"Oh, I couldn't say."
"So how come it worked and doesn't now?
"Well, when I said it doesn't work with ADSL I meant it is not guaranteed."
"Bugger"

I have looked at the FAQ at the ADSL guide website and couldn't find any
info.

Any ideas ... anyone? Or do I just cancel caller ID and save myself a few
quid every now and again?

-halli-

Old July 6th 03, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Griffin

All I have seen written about CLI and ADSL is if the micro filter goes
wrong, then that could cause problems.

Old July 6th 03, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"David Griffin" wrote in message
All I have seen written about CLI and ADSL is if the micro filter goes
wrong, then that could cause problems.

Thanks for the reply.

The engineer said to try it without the microfilter and ring home with my
mobile. I did, and still no Caller ID. :-(

I will try a different microfilter from my friend (showing off now - Yes I
have friends, honest, no really I do!)

-halli-

Old July 6th 03, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Having had broadband since Feb, I no longer have any :-} (damn i`m
spending too much time online :-p )

You can consider me as your friend Colin, after all you did refer me to
Pipex for ADSL :-)

lol
Old July 9th 03, 01:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Beware the man who tells you to test it by removing a filter for he may also
suggest you stick your wet fingers into a mains socket......

I`ve seen Telewest "engineers" test to see if a phone line was on by
dropping to all fours and putting their tongue across the end of the
cable.

It also happened to a mate who lives in a different "installer" district.

Being an electrician, I did ask where their multimeter was...
Old July 9th 03, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 6 Jul 2003 21:45, "Matthew Bailey" wrote:

I have ADSL my CLI has suddenly stopped working over the past
couple of days where it used to work perfectly...
Presumably BT must have changed something at the exchange?

I have caller display on both lines with ADSL and have no problems
with a range of displays. No problem even with the oldest (1995)
BT CD-50 which has been listed on some web pages as incompatible.

When I asked BT to add some network service they decided that the
easiest way to implement the change was to remove the existing
services and then add the ones I wanted, so caller display went
off for a few days. There's also a code which enables/disables
caller display (like codes to enable/disable charge advice etc).

If it comes back on after speaking to the staff on 151 (faults)
they might have spotted it was taken off by mistake !! I hope
your test was made without ADSL active on the line, not just by
checing with and without the filter in place...

When I first had ADSL, there was some conflict and callers got a
half-ring then a message "there is a fault". Took BT ~10 days to
get that one sorted, so I had no incoming calls on the line. I
was told it was something to do with my line having caller disp.
but there was never any fuller explanation and they just gave me
a load of credit as compensation for the problems. Peter M.
Old July 9th 03, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Beware the man who tells you to test it by removing a filter for he
may also suggest you stick your wet fingers into a mains

socket......

I`ve seen Telewest "engineers" test to see if a phone line was on by
dropping to all fours and putting their tongue across the end of the
cable.

It also happened to a mate who lives in a different "installer"
district.

Being an electrician, I did ask where their multimeter was...

You wait until you get 'flashed' in the eye, not a funny thing to
happen to anybody. The jumper person who left it loose didn't think
it was funny after I finished with him either....

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old July 9th 03, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"D Side" wrote in message

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message " You can
consider me as your friend Colin, after all you did refer me to Pipex for
ADSL :-)"

1) Is that not a good reason to hate him? I recall buying a modem from

some
guy on ebay who thanks to pipex's aggresive rewards scheme/referals
(guessing here) thought it would be ok to add my email address to thier

list
as a referal. Several months on the junk email now keeps coming despite
requests to remove me.... Anyway I digress.

What kind of junk mail? I have had no problems nor has someone else I have
referred. As for Pipex, I have no grumbles so far - but lots of downloads
;-)

2) There is no known problem with caller display and adsl.

That's what I thought too.,

Some kit cock's
about with it. Faulty filters are the usual culprit but it's not unknown

for
cheaper caller display units to fail after a few months on ADSL. I have no
scientific backup for this - just lots of field experience with it. I take
my £3 trusty old telecom630 into such customers, show them it working,
smile, finish my tea and charge them £55 for the pleasure.

It is an NTL bagded DECT phone from Argos. Worked fine for months. Could it
be the phone? I think I will borrow my mates dect phone as well as his
filter at the weekend when I have time for tinkering - and messing about
with the phones of course!

3) The 'what have you done at the exchange' remark is a giggle from inside
BT. The answer is...... JACK ****! Christ we can't get the company to buy
cable, let alone do anything to the exchanges! It reminds me of the sheer
laughs we used to have when people asked to have the gain 'turned up'.
(incidentally the only time this was necessary was when a dac's customer

on
the B1 channel was ringing the B2 or visa-v and bad echo would result

unless
both gains were set at '3')

Well if I havn't changed anything, and nothing is visibly broken (phone
works as does ADSL) I jumped to that conclusion. Silly me.

Now I've been unconstructive and sarcastic - my advice, change the

batteries
(if fitted),

Tried that - no joy. :-(

change the filter, change the unit.

Will do - weekend.

Plugging it in WITHOUT a
filter will NOT improve or prove anything and will more likely interfere
with it's operation. Some caller dispay units handle errors easier than
others - if a bit is missed/dropped some will display 'error' or do
nothing - others will display gibberish. Some people don't feel they need

plug a caller display unit into a filter (usually resulting in it's
premature death - again reasons unknown, but see alot of failures like
this).

The BT "expert" told me to do it, honest! It was only for a little while.
Could it have really buggered my phone?

In the case of an intergral phone (a slightly more expensive item to throw
in the bin) prove it on a friends non adsl caller display line. Don't

assume
a new filter is good, the caller display unit is listening to the line ALL
THE TIME as it's looking for a signal ahead of the ring. It's very fussy
about filters being good and not chewing in to it's bandwidth.

Beware the man who tells you to test it by removing a filter for he may

also
suggest you stick your wet fingers into a mains socket......

And call him a tosser if that is true.

Thanks for the reply

-halli-

Old July 10th 03, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"-halli-" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have been using my connexant PCI ADSL modem for months now, and have had
no troubles with the caller display on my NTL badged DECT phone. All of a
sudden the phone won't display the caller's number.

It is now working!

I charged the batteries in a real NiMh charger overnight and switched off
the base unit too.

This morning on testing - Hurrah it works.

Not sure if it is the batteries as D Side suggested, or the switching off
and on of the base unit. Perhaps it needed rebooting or something like my
old sky digibox!

Thank you to everyone who helped.

-halli-

Old July 10th 03, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
D Side

If you think about BT for a minute, the hassle it's been to get a few £££
spent on upgrading exchanges for ADSL, rest assured that no exchange changes
are made to equipment.

OMC can make a few control changes to the gain and calling features - but
other than that, nowt. To do so would involve upgrading exchanges and it
does not happen.

The 'plug it in without a filter' remark only works with adsl modems and
routers (who love the whole signal) but this is not ideal. One thing that
routeenly kills caller display units is lightning. A strike local to an
exchange can throw surges all over that are enough to take them out. As we
are in the midst of storm season its a possible. One other thing - sky
digital/on digi box's/ phonepal type callsavers. These routeenly knock off
the caller display data. The sky/on through faulty modems, the callsaver
through loop faults. If you have either of these disconnect them and try
again. The onetel phonepal is particularly notorious for this.