Equipment Survey

Old July 6th 03, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

Default Equipment Survey

Hey all,

OK .. the response so far (and its only been about 2 hours) has been
outstanding .. near 100 replies so far (and silly me put an email
alert on for each submission too .. oh dear )

Still ... thanks to everyone who has taken the time to fill in the
details. Wether this shows a friendly willingness to take part in my
strange experiement or a desire for users to actually see what
hardware other users are using, remains to be seen, but I am intending
on taking this further given the amount of data that has been
submitted.

As I said in my OP, I will try and make this a 'Mad Onion' type system
(for those who dont know what Mad Onion is, it is (more than this,
but) partly a system that permits you to lookup other users hardware
and compare 'results' to yours based on subtle (and sometimes not too
subtle) changes. Therefore, *hopefully* the new system could answer
things like "what latency do Zen users get using hardware the same as
mine ?", and "I am only getting about 45K/sec with my DG814 on Pipex,
what do other DG814 users get ?". With sufficient data .. this could
be a valuable tool (well, I think anyway) and so an extent, reduce the
number of FAQs in places such as u.t.b.

So .. I am opening this up to you guys (and gals) to an extent .. what
"fields" do you think are required ? Of course, some form of
measuring bandwidth/latency will also be provided in due course, as
the alternative of permitting users to enter their own values is open
to abuse. I might also make it registered, so your reg details are
recorded against an entry .. but I'm not sure yet.

As many of the fields as possible will be "closed" .. that is to say
you much choose from a list, for example from ISP .. stops the wierd
and wonderful entries that some people are putting in )

Any comments on this tools "worthyness" before I spend too much of my
sad life and get this project moving ? Anything obvious that you can
think of that should ( or conversely ) should'nt be done ? Comments
are *very* welcome.

Thanks again for all the data submitted so far.

--
Andy Jenkins
www.btofaq.net
Old July 6th 03, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

Well, I think this is about the best idea you have come out with for a long
time. One other area people have lots of trouble is with different types of
filters. Could you add a section for brand and type of filter maybe and
options for how well they work with CLID, FAX machines etc.

In terms of the routers / modems, the basic info seems about right, maybe
you could ask more about the firewalls that are built in, as this would be
useful info, and is usually poorly described in manufacturers documentation.
Possibly it would be useful to know how the manufacturer has dealt with any
support queries, as many of the manufacturers seem to ignore this issue.
Maybe a mark out of 10 for support, if the user has had any dealings with
the manufacturer ?

--

Martin
Old July 6th 03, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 21:28:45 +0100, Martin Cooper
wrote:

Well, I think this is about the best idea you have come out with for a long
time.

I'll take that as a compliment then )

One other area people have lots of trouble is with different types of
filters. Could you add a section for brand and type of filter maybe and
options for how well they work with CLID, FAX machines etc.

Very true. Definatley on the list !

In terms of the routers / modems, the basic info seems about right, maybe
you could ask more about the firewalls that are built in, as this would be
useful info, and is usually poorly described in manufacturers documentation.

Do you mean "does it have one" style questions? Pretty much all the
routers will have NAT (a weak form of security) or a propper firewall
in the first place, so I'l not sure how I could implement this.
Ideas?

Possibly it would be useful to know how the manufacturer has dealt with any
support queries, as many of the manufacturers seem to ignore this issue.
Maybe a mark out of 10 for support, if the user has had any dealings with
the manufacturer ?

One of the things I really wanted to try and avoid in my initial draft
design was users "opinion". I really wanted a hard and fast, yes or
no type answer, but I can definatley see the merrit in your
recomendation and its worthy of further thought.

--
Andy Jenkins
www.btofaq.net
Old July 6th 03, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

Andy Jenkins wrote:

snip

Do you mean "does it have one" style questions? Pretty much all the
routers will have NAT (a weak form of security) or a propper firewall
in the first place, so I'l not sure how I could implement this.
Ideas?

I was thinking of something like :-

firewall type (NAT only, packet filter, stateful inspection)
configuration (Web interface, CLI, menu driven)

where 'menu driven' means you have to telnet into the router and configure
it with a menu style interface rather than being able to do it through the
web interface. Maybe needs a little more thought though. Maybe this would
be too confusing to complete. I'll have a think and see if I can come up
with a better idea.

--

Martin