Router recommendations please ???

Old July 6th 03, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Craig Henry

Default Router recommendations please ???

Hi,

I am due to be getting a ADSL connection in August and am looking in to
routers.

I have a 3com 100baset switch linked to a network of machines with cat 5
cable and 3com 9015c's.

I will be signing up with plusnet.

Should i
a) take the router plusnet provides
b) Something else
looking to spend no more than 100 on equipment.

Many thanks

Craig Henry

Old July 6th 03, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"Craig Henry" wrote in message
Hi,

I am due to be getting a ADSL connection in August and am looking in to
routers.

I have a 3com 100baset switch linked to a network of machines with cat 5
cable and 3com 9015c's.

I will be signing up with plusnet.

Should i
a) take the router plusnet provides
b) Something else
looking to spend no more than 100 on equipment.

I am looking at getting a router/modem too.

Thinking of getting either:

D-LINK DSL-300G+
ADSL MODEM WITH BUILT-IN 4 PORT ROUTER 75

or

SPEEDCOM ADSL 4 PORT ROUTER WITH MODEM
ADSL MODEM WITH BUILT IN 4 PORT ROUTER 69

from www.computerorbit.co.uk (a local shop - I have no link with the
business and will go anywhere else if cheaper)

Any recommendations from the wise frequenters of this group are welcome.

Cheers

-halli-

Old July 6th 03, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"Craig Henry" wrote:

Hi,

I am due to be getting a ADSL connection in August and am looking in to
routers.

I have a 3com 100baset switch linked to a network of machines with cat 5
cable and 3com 9015c's.

I will be signing up with plusnet.

Should i
a) take the router plusnet provides
b) Something else
looking to spend no more than 100 on equipment.

Many thanks

Craig Henry

I'm not sure what router plusnet supply, but they will probably have marked
it up in price to make a profit. I'd get your own instead. I currently use
a speedtouch 510v4, which has been very stable. The only downside is that
the firewall has to be configured via a CLI which is a bit of a pain. For
router reviews, take a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/

--

Martin
Old July 7th 03, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 22:18, "Craig Henry" wrote:

I will be signing up with plusnet.

I'd appreciate the reduction in my bill :-) http://tinyurl.com/8ib9

looking to spend no more than 100 on equipment.

You have the option not to use any PlusNet hardware, and it seems they
do change the kit supplied, from time to time. I've been happy with a
4-port AR41 (about 50 pounds, from Ebuyer) which has traffic stats on
a per IP basis for your LAN, and handles my needs. Netgear's DG814 is
in the shops at about 90 quid (inc VAT, at my local Dixons), and I own
a couple of DabsValue 4-port routers (both out on loan, but quite good
on reporting line conditions, which aren't shown on the web interfaces
of either of the other routers). The Dabs shows signal to noise ratio
on both upstream and downstream channels, while the AR41 only a single
noise margin status, if connected to the console port. The Netgear in
my garage was given me as it died (keeps the phone line off-hook, also
no ADSL operation as a bug!) and that's now a demo machine for me that
allows me to know what one of my clients sees on their DG814 (and will
allow me to keep familiar as I support them when their IT guy is away)