Limiting lines to ADSL only

Old July 7th 03, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Rogers

Default Limiting lines to ADSL only

If I'm putting a BT line in for ADSL, and I want it to be only used for
that, what are my options for preventing the telephone side of it being
abused?

Can I get call barring, or will that affect the ADSL?

BT are telling me that changing the call barring may disrupt the ADSL line
but I really don't think that the BT-bot knows what they're talking about.
They may be right, but it'll be by accident if they are :-)

--
Mark Rogers, More Solutions Ltd
Drop -news if replying by email

Old July 7th 03, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
^^Flying Rat^^

Mark Rogers posted this...
If I'm putting a BT line in for ADSL, and I want it to be only used for
that, what are my options for preventing the telephone side of it being
abused?

Don't buy a telephone

FR
--
Now in my 40th year of providing lunacy to the masses

www.flyingrat.net
Old July 7th 03, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Rogers

"^^Flying Rat^^" wrote:
Don't buy a telephone

This is, indeed, my current approach :-)

However, since the ADSL lines are going into factories and since there'll be
plenty of bored operators around who won't be responsbile for the phone
bill, I reckon I should try and find a more robust solution...

--
Mark Rogers,
More Solutions Ltd

Old July 7th 03, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dion L Heap

2 Options, hardware mod the plates by cutting links between the two sockets,
or the quick * dirty fix, Araldite in the phone socket side.

regards,

Dion L Heap
www.thetophouse.com

Old July 7th 03, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Hearn

"Mark Rogers" wrote in message
[Snip misc hardware mods]

Must admit I hadn't thought about hardware mods; thanks for all the
suggestions (Peter, Lee, Dion).

I'd still prefer a fix "at source" though, ie from BT, since if they screw
up and calls go through I'll have a much stronger case in not paying them.

But I'll look at the hardware options too.

Don't BT do things like "No outgoing calls" options?

Old July 7th 03, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:03, "Mark Rogers" wrote:

Can I get call barring, or will that affect the ADSL?

One of my lines has call barring on it and no problems with
the ADSL service. It might have been mentioned (along with
the CD-50 caller display) as being incompatible, but works!

The (cheap, but not nasty) Dabs Value ADSL router has a BT
plug on the end, and you could put a plain modem cable on,
and no filter, so if they did know enough to put a socket
doubler on, and plug a handset it, they'd (a) get noise,
and then (b) find that call barring was in use. How will
you prevent any operator connected calls ? Peter M.
Old July 7th 03, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Rogers

Peter Morgan wrote:
One of my lines has call barring on it and no
problems with the ADSL service.

Thanks, Peter (and Moonshine) for confirming that call barring should work.

The (cheap, but not nasty) Dabs Value ADSL router
has a BT plug on the end, and you could put a
plain modem cable on, and no filter, so if they
did know enough to put a socket doubler on, and
plug a handset it, they'd (a) get noise,
and then (b) find that call barring was in use.

I'm already using a plain modem cable, although as ADSL becomes better
"known" I don't think that would stop a curious machine worker.

Hence wanting call barring as well.

How will you prevent any operator connected calls?

I don't know - can you tell me?

Are BT not able to grasp the concept of "I don't want any chargeable calls
made on this line. My quarterly bill will not exceed the cost of line
rental." ??

Silly question, I guess.

--
Mark Rogers,
More Solutions Ltd

Old July 7th 03, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 14:07, "Mark Rogers" wrote:

Are BT not able to grasp the concept of "I don't want any chargeable
calls made on this line. My quarterly bill will not exceed the cost
of line rental." ??

well, awkward in a business context (cannot use some options where a
residential line can come under the "In Contact" scheme, ie incoming
only, or have free call barring (but in many instances barring isn't
supplied free if used as a way to control spending).

0800reverse is blocked by incoming call barring (I'm using that on one
line), but a user could set up a daily reminder call (which would be
chargeable), if no barring is active. I suppose setting Charge Advice
to be on, all the time, might help reduce incidents of someone making a
call, if they do find a way, as the phone will ring shortly after hangup,
and make other staff curious!

I suppose a written note to the CS manager (address in Phone Book)
requesting a note be placed that all changes on the line can only be
made via trusted contact and see if there are any tips they can
provide, explaining intended use of the line and no voice use.

Someone recently posted in uk.telecom about needing lockable boxes.
Old July 7th 03, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Uncle Wobbly

You could put a 2K2 resistor between pins 2 & 5 - it''l be permanently
engaged for inbound and you won't get dialling tone on it. Only problem is,
BT might get it show up as a fault.

Old July 7th 03, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Mark Rogers
writes
Hence wanting call barring as well.

How will you prevent any operator connected calls?

I don't know - can you tell me?

Does it not follow if you have call barring then you cannot make calls
even via the operator? I presume there is no dial tone.
--
Les Desser