ntl 1Mb Package

Old July 7th 03, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ged

Default ntl 1Mb Package

I'm thinking of getting ntl's 1Mb package for home. I want to make
sure my laptop pc and mac are both able to get online. The mac and pc
are in different rooms and have been networked by ethernet cables to
adsl before so should be OK to get online.

Any helpful hints/sugegstions about what to think about? Laymans term
please.

ntl say the cable modem has just two 'outputs' - usb and 1 ethernet
and I can't use both at once.

My first niave thoughts are that I should buy a switched router to
allow me to get both computers on line, keep the pc near the router
box downstairs (connected via ethernet) and run a seperate ethernet
cable from the router upstairs to the mac. (I don't need to file share
between computers).

Does this soud sensible? How does on go about know exactly what to do
- as ntl seem to just give you the minimum information? If I use a
router can I use peer-to-peer sharing like kazaa?

Ged