Security and D-Link 504 DSL modem/router

Old July 7th 03, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry the Horse

Default Security and D-Link 504 DSL modem/router

Last week I bought a D-Link 504 ADSL modem. I set it up on my home network
& it works perfectly

How secure is the firewall using the default settings? I am not really a
network person so I am unsure whether I should be considering making
additional settings to make it more secure.

TIA,
--
HtH

Old July 7th 03, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

Last week I bought a D-Link 504 ADSL modem. I set it up on my home
network
& it works perfectly

How secure is the firewall using the default settings?

If you are using NAT (which you almost certainly are if you haven't changed
any settings) then you are fairly well protected anyway as no incomming
requests are ever forwarded onto any PC's on the network (unless you have
specifically set this up).

It is still worth running a firewall on any PCs using the 'net as this will
alert you if any rogue programs (that may have been downloaded from the web,
sent by email or obtained in some other way) attempt to make outgoing
connections. It is also worth running a virus checker too to minimise the
change of damage from email/macro viruses etc... The D-Link firewall
wouldn't be able to help you there!

M.