Advice req'd re ADSL installation (which never happened)

Old July 7th 03, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

Default Advice req'd re ADSL installation (which never happened)

1 Don't know

2 You can't

3 Unlikely - they did the line test and thatıs what you stayed in for,
unless you can prove they did the test at another time ?. They can test (at
night) by disconnecting the iSDN line card at the exchange, and then test to
the connection point outside your house - maybe. Or it could be a known
issue with a particular cable bundle that goes to your house.

Did you have an order for a HH to ADSL conversion ?

On 7/7/03 3:11 pm, in article , "Steve"
wrote:

Advice req'd re ADSL installation (which never happened)

I rang BT on 27 June and a date was fixed for today to install ADSL, between
10:30 and 13:30. I definitely live within 5,5km of the exchange (4,05km to
be exact) yet the order was cancelled due to "line noise".

I waited in all day for them & no one appeared from BT. Ringing them, they
said that the order had been cancelled because of the failed line test yet I
was never informed. I've thus lost a day's pay and wasted nearly a full day
just waiting for an engineer to call.

Question: Can anything be done to remedy the 'line noise'? A neighbour (7m
away from my front door) has ADSL no problem!

Question: As I'm on ISDN presently, how can they actually test the line if
it's not the line which I will be using? (This, presumably will have to be
converted back to PSTN first?)

Qiuestion: What if anything, can be obtained from BT to cover the cost of my
day's lost pay?

Thanks for your help guys.

Steve

Old July 7th 03, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert M Jones

Steve wrote:
Thanks Graham...

I actually waited in for them to come & disconnect the ISDN so that
they could transfer it back to PSTN before they tested it. This they
have never done. They say that they've tested the ISDN line, but of
course it won't be the ISDN line that I'm using when(and if) ADSL is
ever set up!

I actually stayed in at home so that they could do the disconnection
at home & subsequent testing at the exchange. I have been given an
order number and received their 'Welcome to BT Broadband' booklet.

Steve

"Steve" wrote:

[...]

There are quite a lot of cases around nowadays where people go to small
claims courts over the "staying in for delivery/workmen but they never
turned up" issue.
If you have paperwork/emails to show that you arranged to stay in and
that they were going to call and didn't, you have a good case in small
claims court (no legal representation required) and if you tell them
that, and ask for your complaint to be escalated, they may well
compensate you. If not - go to small claims, and claim reasonable costs
and compensation - they probably won't turn up, and you will win. Then
you have to try and get the money!

--
Rev Robert M Jones - http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
remove the obvious to reply by email

Old July 8th 03, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
D Side

They probably used a stored test result against the main dp in the street.

It's quiet common to fail like this. The problem BT has is IF it decided to
let it go and agree to provide broadband and it would not work the fiscal
retribution of delivering the service to you could be significant.

There is a function within the ISDN test procedures to return the gain/drop
on a line without interuption - it's out of my remit - but I am reliably
informed that it can be done.

Try ordering a second line for adsl and see if they bite on that. As it's a
new line - they can't go by a physical test until it's up and running :-) by
that time - they have accepted your order. If all goes well just cancel the
isdn and save the £50 conversion charge (ofset against the £80 for the new
line that they will allow you to spread over 3 bills of course ). They may
blow you out at once - but you may just find it goes through ok. Must be
borderline if your neighbour has it (as long as thats not a white lie)

That said, I know of streets fed on 2 different cables. 1 is fine, the other
has minor faults that just knock out the houses nearest the exchange for
broadband whilst allowing those further away full service.