e-mail

Old July 7th 03, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

Default e-mail

"me" wrote:

maybe offtopic but here goes.

right what i would like to do is be able to collect all mail ( 3 pop3
accounts ) on a main pc, and then my gf ( on her laptop ) can collect her
mail from the main pc.

Is this possible, and preferably free.

thanks in advance

Peter

Hi,
It's possible, but you would have to run a mailserver on the main PC, so
if this is all you want it for, it's not really practical. As far as I am
aware, there are no free mailservers for windows.

--
Martin
Old July 7th 03, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

there are lots of free mailserver programs for windows - just go to some
where like www.tucows.com there are lots of free programs here and some that
you have to pay for.

I used to use one called vpop - one machine collected all the mail and
others get it from that machine. Free for a few users a fee payable if you
want to use more.

Like most of these programs you get what you pay for - support is very
limited.

Old July 7th 03, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In an article dated Mon, 7 Jul 2003 18:15:50 +0100,
Martin Cooper made the earth move by saying......

"me" wrote:

maybe offtopic but here goes.

right what i would like to do is be able to collect all mail ( 3 pop3
accounts ) on a main pc, and then my gf ( on her laptop ) can collect her
mail from the main pc.

Is this possible, and preferably free.

thanks in advance

Peter

Hi,
It's possible, but you would have to run a mailserver on the main PC, so
if this is all you want it for, it's not really practical. As far as I am
aware, there are no free mailservers for windows.

There are

Mercury mail from http://www.pmail.com/downloads.htm

--
Mugwump

To reply, replace INVALID with pipex{dot}com
Old July 8th 03, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

In article ,
(Keith Roberts) wrote:

there are lots of free mailserver programs for windows - just go to some
where like
www.tucows.com there are lots of free programs here and some
that
you have to pay for.

I used to use one called vpop - one machine collected all the mail and
others get it from that machine. Free for a few users a fee payable if
you
want to use more.

I use VPOP too, you need to register it, but older versions are free if
you can find them. (well you're supposed to register them, but they don't
time out IYSWIM)

Probably overkill for what you want though.

One word of warning, if you are planning on staying online 24/7 then use a
newer version, the older ones are that secure.

- Steve

Old July 8th 03, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

In article ,
(Steve) wrote:

In article ,
(Keith Roberts) wrote:

there are lots of free mailserver programs for windows - just go to
some
where like
www.tucows.com there are lots of free programs here and
some that
you have to pay for.

I used to use one called vpop - one machine collected all the mail and
others get it from that machine. Free for a few users a fee payable
if you
want to use more.

I use VPOP too, you need to register it, but older versions are free if
you can find them. (well you're supposed to register them, but they
don't time out IYSWIM)

Probably overkill for what you want though.

One word of warning, if you are planning on staying online 24/7 then
use a newer version, the older ones are that secure.

oops, meant to say 'Not that secure'

sorry !

- Steve