Help please - set up for g.shdsl routers

Old July 7th 03, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Default Help please - set up for g.shdsl routers

I'm trying to extend my dsl-enabled lan using Zyxel g.shdsl routers and
(existing, privately owned) telephone cabling. Re-cabling with Cat 5 or
wireless are not options. Wiring distance is about 500m.

Can anyone point me (relative newbie) somewhere that I can find simple
directions for the physical set-up.
Have tried googling but without success.
MTIA

Nick.

Old July 7th 03, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eusty

I think you will run into problems, 500m is a way over the 100m maximum
range
of Ethernet so you will need to use an amplifier of something to boost the
signal.

Telephone cable is poor quality and not always twisted pair, so even if it
does work the amount of noise of the line will be so great your speeds will
be
next to useless.

What on earth do you want to network?? is it a straight 500m run or 5x100m,
10x50m??

I think you need to search for basic network topology as it seems like you
are
biting off more than you can chew!

Old July 7th 03, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eusty

I have to admit I didn't...opps

Actually Nick has explained a bit more and I see his problem and where he is
coming from.

All goes to show you shouldn't jump to conclusions....sorry!!

Steve

Clueless wrote:
eusty wrote:

Nick wrote:
I'm trying to extend my dsl-enabled lan using Zyxel g.shdsl routers
snip

I think you will run into problems, 500m is a way over the 100m
maximum range
of Ethernet snip

You did see the g.shdsl mention didnt you Eusty ?

I presume it is the Prestige 782 Nick ? http://tinyurl.com/g8ws

This might help to understand it.

http://linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/overview.html

S. Althaf

--

(`._. All Outgoing Mail Scanned With Norton Anti-Virus 2003 ._.)