Help! can't connect to router

Old July 7th 03, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
malkz

Default Help! can't connect to router

I just upgraded from win98 to XP Pro on one of my
machines that is connected to my Draytec 2600we router,
since upgrading i can't connect to the router/internet using the wizards,
or even trying to ping the router,,,i have the settings for automatic
assigning of ip,,,
I get a not found page when trying http://192.168.1.1 in a browser
It must be something simple and obvious surely??
I'm still a newbie at this level of networking,,

Any help or pointers much appreciated
Malkz

Old July 7th 03, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
malkz

Type ipconfig /all and press enter

copy the result and paste it as a reply here. This diagnostic information
will help us to formulate an effective reply.

sorry for the double post,,but zen seems slow just now with ng's
Here's what i got,,,,

C:\ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : private2
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast
Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-22-40-14-17
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.113.220
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

TIA
Malkz

Old July 7th 03, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Customer Support

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:29:58 +0100, "malkz"
wrote:

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-22-40-14-17
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.113.220

Your network card is not set up correctly as it being assigned an IP
in the wrong subnet. Try setting it up manually rather than letting it
be done by DHCP. I would guess that you could use the following
settings:

IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers: whatever your ISP's DNS servers are

Regards

Josh
--
----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----+
Old July 7th 03, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.113.220

That IP address is a dummy that means "Oh,oh, I couldn't find your
DHCP server".

Is the PC plugged into a router? Is DHCP enabled on the router?

If you're on NTL and not using a router ie plugging your network card
straight into the modem, you need to turn off the cable modem and the
PC, wait 5 mins, boot the modem, wait abough 30 secs then boot the PC,
and then see if its working. If it doesn't work after this, try a new
ethernet cable, and if that fails, then call NTL.
Old July 7th 03, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.113.220

Your network card is not set up correctly as it being assigned an IP
in the wrong subnet.

This is right but wrong. See my post elsethread for what the
169.254.x.x addresses mean.

Try setting it up manually rather than letting it
be done by DHCP.

If the PC can't find the DHCP server, its not likely to be able to
find the network at all. However its worth trying. Be careful tho to
check any other computers on the same network, and choose different
last quad for this one eg .2 and .3 might be used by other PCs.

One thought - has XP's builtin firewall kicked in and blocked the DHCP
requests? Not likely but...

Old July 8th 03, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , malkz
writes
sorry for the double post,,but zen seems slow just now with ng's
Here's what i got,,,,
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Snippety Snip, this is your problem, your PC is expecting to find a DHCP
server on your LAN.
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.113.220

Unfortunately, it can't find one so it guesses at an APIPA address of
169.254.x.x which is way outside your network range. Basically, you need
to assign a static IP address in the 192.168.1.X network (not 0, 255 or
1 which is already assigned to your router.) Try 192.168.1.10, subnet
mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway address of 192.168.1.1 and DNS server of
192.168.1.1 (assuming your router is set up to do DNS.

TIA
Malkz

Go to Control panel, Network and Dial up Connections, right click on
your LAN connection and select Properties, Highlight TCP/IP and select
properties from the buttons below. Enter the information I added above
(it will probably enter the subnet mask for you) and try the router
config page again (it will take a moment or two for the card to be
reconfigured and may even require a reboot))
--
Clint