Setting IP and DNS

Old July 8th 03, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Draxen

Default Setting IP and DNS

"Brett..." wrote in message
My router is currently set to dynamic IP address allocation and dynamic

DNS
servers - "Get Automatically From ISP"
Everything works just fine.
My ISP has given me a static IP address and lists its DNS servers.

Are there any advantages in actually entering the IP address and DNS

server
details into my router? If so, what are they?

It *might* boot up a second or two faster. If your ISP ever had problems
with their DHCP servers you wouldn't be able to connect, but these are
usually tied into the authentication servers anyway so if they go tits up
you're screwed.
Bottom line is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The miniscule benefits you
might get don't outweigh the potential downtime you'd get if you screwed up
the reconfig.