Disconnecting 3 to 4 time per hour !!

Old July 8th 03, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Steele

Default Disconnecting 3 to 4 time per hour !!

"Ian" wrote in message
.. .
Hi group,
I'm with Pipex and for the last year and a half I've had NO problems .
But in the last 2 months I'm now getting disconnected more and more often
Ie: 3 or 4 times per hour. I thought it was the conexant 4 port router to
blame but i've now borrowed another router and the same happens. Nothings
changed in my setup and it happens even when all PC's are powered down. So

guess that rules out any link with them. Strange thing is that WHEN I am
connected everything is FINE 477 down speed test from adsl guide etc.

Have any of you guys got any ideas on what could be wrong ??

Also I'm looking for any software that would "log" all these

disconnections
to give me more room for manouvre if I have to phone Pipex or BT to

complian
..any suggestions on this ???

Cheers
Ian

I am experiencing a high rate of errors. originally the symptoms were
apparently what you described. I discovered my router SAR110 has a 24 hour
history and this shows that I am getting almost 100% loss of service between
0015 and 0505 every single night. I observed enough disconnections to verify
that the statistics are valid.

This has been with the ISP for over a month while I eliminated all internal
possibilities. The fault was still present with a "modem" cable plugged
directly into the master socket with all other wiring (including all
telephones) disconnected.

BT have visited once and could find no problem with their equipment (USB
Modem and laptop I believe).

The SAR110 also shows line loss parameters and one of these Local Line
Attenuation changes over wide limits (38 to 48 dB are the extremes, 41 to 44
are the normal values), sometimes over a 5 minute period.

Does your router have any such diagnostic capabilities?

Can it generate SYSLOG messages? If so it would be possible to set up a
SYSLOG server on your PC to record them. I have used the following on NT. I
have not tried it on XP.
http://support.3com.com/software/uti...ows_32_bit.htm
or direct link
ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/utilbin/win32/3cdv2r10.zip

For my fault it would generate several thousand messages each night as the
router connects and disconnects every 5 seconds or so.
--
John Steele (remove nospam to reply)