Help

Old July 8th 03, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default Help

Hi all I need a little help if possible please.

Here's the situation

I have 2 internet connections we will call these A and B

I have 2 NICS in my PC we will call these NIC1 NIC2

NIC1 is connected to internet connection A
NIC2 is connected to internet connection B

Now if I want my PC to only use internet connection A without turning off or
disabling NIC2 how can I do it?

I am using windows XP

Any help will be much appreciated

Rgs James

Old July 8th 03, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Heres the answer

Check what routes are setup on your pc. Go to the command prompt and enter
"Route Print" this will display how your PC decides where to send network
requests. You will probably find two entries for destination 0.0.0.0 (The
rest of the world basically) one bound to NIC A ip address and the other on
NIC B. Now look at the metric column, this is "simplistically" a preference
(the lower the better).

So to summarise, if you modify your routing table to have a 0.0.0.0 route on
NIC A with a lower metric than NIC B all your internet traffic should flow
via A. (However should A fail then it would use B instead)