SSID

Old July 8th 03, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades

Default SSID

In message , Andrew
Hall writes
Hi all,

Trying to configure my computer for a wireless connection to my Vigor2600We
adsl connection. I need the SSID of my PCI card but have no idea how to find
this. Im using a Toshiba wireless LAN card and XPpro. Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Andrew

It wont have one unless you put it in! It stands for 'something site
identifier' (I hope that's correct).

If the card is installed correctly I would expect you to have an icon
for it in your systray or perhaps an icon in Settings - Control Panel.
From this you would be able to configure the card for ad-hoc or network,
set the SSID, channel and encryption (unless you're intending the
neighbours and anyone else within range to share your connection).

At least that's how my wireless device is in W98SE. You'll probably get
a better answer but this may give some pointer in the meantime.
--
Malcolm.
Old July 8th 03, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

Only the base station has an SSID - the PCI card doesnąt nor does the wlan
card in the portable.

Ad hoc connections are just that - ad hoc - one machine picks up the other
if its set to work in ad hoc mode and accept ad hoc connections.

If it doesnąt, then it wont appear when "searched for"

Try setting the interface you are wishing to share, to be "shared" under XP
and other may find it.

On 8/7/03 3:31 pm, in article , "Malcolm
Loades" wrote:

In message , Andrew
Hall writes
Hi all,

Trying to configure my computer for a wireless connection to my Vigor2600We
adsl connection. I need the SSID of my PCI card but have no idea how to find
this. Im using a Toshiba wireless LAN card and XPpro. Any suggestions would
be appreciated.

Andrew

It wont have one unless you put it in! It stands for 'something site
identifier' (I hope that's correct).

If the card is installed correctly I would expect you to have an icon
for it in your systray or perhaps an icon in Settings - Control Panel.
From this you would be able to configure the card for ad-hoc or network,

Old July 8th 03, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BRG

Malcolm Loades wrote in
:

It wont have one unless you put it in! It stands for 'something
site identifier' (I hope that's correct).

SSID = Service Set Identifier

A WLAN card doesn't have one as such, you tell it which SSIDs it can
connect to.

--
BRG
===
Old July 8th 03, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BRG

Graham in Melton wrote in
:

Confusion reigns.

... nor does the wlan card in the portable.

What portable? The OP is talking about a PCI card made by Toshiba,
who coincidentally make portables.

Ad hoc connections are just that - ad hoc - one machine picks up
the other if its set to work in ad hoc mode and accept ad hoc
connections.

Where does ad hoc come into this? The Vigor box contains an AP.

If it doesnűt, then it wont appear when "searched for"

Try setting the interface you are wishing to share, to be
"shared" under XP and other may find it.

The Vigor box is also a router, it will do the Internet sharing
automatically.

--
BRG
===
Old July 8th 03, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 8/7/03 5:50 pm, in article ,
"BRG" wrote:

Graham in Melton wrote in
:

Confusion reigns.

... nor does the wlan card in the portable.

What portable? The OP is talking about a PCI card made by Toshiba,
who coincidentally make portables.

My mistake

Ad hoc connections are just that - ad hoc - one machine picks up
the other if its set to work in ad hoc mode and accept ad hoc
connections.

Where does ad hoc come into this? The Vigor box contains an AP.

It comes from ..... "you would be able to configure the card for ad-hoc
or...." in the reply

If it doesnűt, then it wont appear when "searched for"

Try setting the interface you are wishing to share, to be
"shared" under XP and other may find it.

The Vigor box is also a router, it will do the Internet sharing
automatically.

Except when the Toshiba card is desired to work in ad hoc mode PC-PC is what
I was pointing out - sort of a P2P via wireless if you take my meaning