Cannot use modem (for faxing) since installing broadband - help please..

Old July 8th 03, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete

Default Cannot use modem (for faxing) since installing broadband - help please..

Since installing broadband I no longer seem able to use my modem.

I'm connecting to B-band using a D-Link DSL504 ADSL router.

The standard XP diags on the modem report that it's working fine, but
using the diags that came with the (Conexant) modem report that there
is no dial tone. Plugging a phone into the same socket, I do get a
dialtone. I have installed the modem in a friend's PC and it works
fine.
The report seems to indicate that the com port is unavailable (see the
end of the report below) which I would guess, is why the modem is not
picking up the dialtone.
I have tried changing the com port but to no avail.

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks
Pete

TEST REPORT -

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\ModemTest.txt 7/8/2003

[Registry Information]
Register :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Unimodem\DeviceSpecific\Conexant
HCF V90 56K RTAD^ OK
Register :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\P CI\VEN_14F1^ OK
Register : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Winac^
OK

[Modem Information]
Modem Conexant HCF V90 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem registered on
the port : 7

Com Port = 7
Modem Conexant HCF V90 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem registered on
the port : 5

Com Port = 5
Model = Conexant HCF V90 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem detected

[Port Information]

Open com : 7
Test modem -- Conexant HCF V90 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem
ATE0 OK
AT+FCLASS=? 0,1,1.0,8,80 OK

Last Session
AT#UG

#UG VERSION=1

UNIMODEM VERSION=10

CALL SETUP RESULT=Detected No Recognizable Tone

MULTIMEDIA MODE=Data Only

DTE-DCE MODE=Async data

V.8 CM octet string=""

V.8 JM octet string=""

RX SIG POWER DB=0, TX SIG POWER DB=0, S/N RATIO DB=0

V.34 INFO bit map =0

TX MOD=Unknown, TX SYMBOL RATE=0, TX CARRIER FREQ=65535

RX MOD=Unknown, RX SYMBOL RATE=0, RX CARRIER FREQ=65535

TX FIRST DATA RATE=0, RX FIRST DATA RATE=0

CARRIER LOSS=0, RATE RENEG=0

RETRAINS REQ=0, RETRAINS DET=0

TX FINAL RATE=0, RX FINAL RATE=0

PROTOCOL NEGOTIATION=None

EC FRAME SIZE=0

EC LINK TIMEOUTS=0

EC LINK NAKS=0

COMPRESSION NEGOTIATION=None

COMPRESSION DICTIONARY SIZE=0

TX FLOW CONTROL=2

RX FLOW CONTROL=2

TX CHARS SENT FROM DTE=0

RX CHARS SENT TO DTE=0

TX CHARS LOST=0

RX CHARS LOST=0

TX FRAME COUNT=0

RX FRAME COUNT=0

TX FRAME ERROR COUNT=0

RX FRAME ERROR COUNT=0

TERMINATION CAUSE=Undefined

LSD Vdd=0, Power Bits=0

V8BIS FLEX VERSION=0, V8BIS DSP VERSION=0

RATE RENEG REQ=0, RATE RENEG DET=0

HIGH PASS FILTER ENABLED=0

ROBBED BIT PATTERN=0

DIGITAL PAD DETECTED=0, DIGITAL LOSS ESTIMATE=0

Cnt1=0, Det1=0, Res1=0

EQM=0, TRAINING EQM SUM=0

DIB ERROR COUNTERS=0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

RETRAIN/HDLC RESET=0

OK

[Modem Profile]
ATI&V

56000

ACTIVE PROFILE:

E0 L1 M1 Q0 T V1 X4 &C1 &D2 &G0 &T0 &P0

S00:000 S01:000 S02:043 S03:013 S04:010 S05:008 S06:004 S07:050
S08:002

S10:014 S12:050 S16:000 S18:000 S29:070

STORED PROFILE 0:

E1 L1 M1 Q0 T V1 X4 &C1 &D2 &G0 &T0 &P0

S00:000 S02:043 S06:004 S07:050 S08:002 S10:014 S12:050 S18:000
S28:000

S29:000

OK

ATI Modem tests -- Conexant HCF V90 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem
ATI0 56000 OK
ATI1 255 OK
ATI2 OK OK
ATI3 2.1.2.171.025 OK
ATI4 Conexant HCF V.90 56K RTAD,Speakerphone PCI Modem OK
ATI5 256 OK
ATI6 DP Rev BA V90 SPX RAM Ver 08 V90 CTL RAM Ver 08
K56FLEX SPX RAM Ver 47 K56FLEX CTL RAM Ver 47 OK
ATI7 255 OK
ATI8 Aug 13 2001 # 17:10:13 OK
ATI9 ORANGE OK
Correct Identification

ATZ OK
ATX4DT ;
ATH OK
Error cannot open com : 5

[Dialtone Information]

Dialtone Test modem -- Conexant HCF V90 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI
Modem
Error --- No Dialtone detected

[Test Hardware]

Old July 9th 03, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Pete wrote:

Since installing broadband I no longer seem able to use my modem.

I'm connecting to B-band using a D-Link DSL504 ADSL router.

The standard XP diags on the modem report that it's working fine, but
using the diags that came with the (Conexant) modem report that there
is no dial tone. Plugging a phone into the same socket, I do get a
dialtone. I have installed the modem in a friend's PC and it works
fine.

A few possibilities he

Installing broadband may have altered your dialtone enough that the
modem no longer recognises it - unlikely but might happen! If this is
the case go to control panel, run the phone and modem settings applet,
select the modem and choose properties. Now untick the "Wait for
dialtone..." option on the general tab. If that works problem sorted -
although beware that if you try to dial when someone is on the phone the
modem will happily dial straight over the top of them rather than
backing off.

Other options: when you tried the modem on the friends PC did you use
the same cable from the modem to the telephone socket? A knackered cable
can cause the problem you are seeing.

The report seems to indicate that the com port is unavailable (see the
end of the report below) which I would guess, is why the modem is not
picking up the dialtone.

The fact that you are able to query the modem and get responses from it
suggests that the port settings are fine. Alas the fact that you can
talk to the modems controller does not mean that the telephone line side
of the modem can talk to the telephone network.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 9th 03, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:25:01 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Pete wrote:

[...]

Thanks John

I have tried your ideas, but to no avail unfortunately.

Any more ideas much appreciated

best wishes
Pete
Old July 12th 03, 05:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Pete wrote:

Thanks John

I have tried your ideas, but to no avail unfortunately.

Any more ideas much appreciated

Do you hear the modem dial? - what about if you turn off the dial tone
detection as I described before, and then pick up a phone on the same
line as the modem and get it to dial - you should hear a slight change
in the "sound" of the line as the modem goes "off hook" - possibly
accompanied with a click, and you should hear the DTMF tones as the
modem dials.

If you hear none of this then there are two possibilities - Wiring
fault: either the cable of the modem is knackered, or, something is
wrong with the phone socket it is plugged into (does a phone work in the
same socket?).

Other possibility is the line interface side of the modem is dead
(common occurrence as a result of lightening strikes - had any storms
lately?). If this is the case, invest another tenner in a nice new modem!

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 13th 03, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:34:28 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Pete wrote:

[...]

Hi John

I'm beginning to think you're right about the modem now being dead.

We did have a storm a bout 10 days ago - it blew the modems (and in 1
case the mothboard) in both my neighbours PC's - I took my modem out
and put in in place of one of the blown modems and it worked fine, so
she got a new modem which I installed and I put my modem back in my PC
and now it doesn't work - i think the easiest route is to get a new
modem and see how that goes.

Thanks for your help

Pete
Old July 13th 03, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

I used to work in a local computer repair shop - we used to see this
happening every time after a local storm - most often it would stop the
modem working but sometime it fried the motherboard as well - use a surge
protector on the phone line to protect it for the next time.

As the problem you had it was common for the modem to apear to be working
but it couldnt pick up the phone line - replace it and everything fine. A
couple of times PCI modems stoped the motherboard working when they were
pluged in - again replace and all ok.