Faster broadband

Old July 9th 03, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

Default Faster broadband

It's Me wrote:

I'm looking for something a little faster now. BT could only offer a
business package which would set me back a whopping 129.99 a month.
Does anyone know of a service ....

BT seem to be going to offer a 1 meg service starting in August, according
to adslguide.org

The text from the article is :

"The rumours have started and ADSLGuide can confirm that a BT IPstream Home
1000 product is under development. It appears likely that more information
and possibly a small trial will occur for Home 1000 in August 2003. As yet
no firm details so there is no point in chasing service providers yet.
Reassuringly it would appear that migrations from Home 500 to Home 1000 will
be available from day one."

It might be what you are looking for?

Old July 9th 03, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

Chris Buckley wrote:

Perhaps it is something to do with the ADSL technology ? Anyone know

Yes, it is. For same upload as download speeds you require SDSL.

Where would you get a hold of that then?

I am looking for around 1 meg upstream at home, am I just dreaming here or
would someone offer that? And what costs would be involved?

I presume I'd need to invest in some sort of business package, anyone have
any links for services they use?

Old July 9th 03, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"It's Me" wrote:

Chris Buckley wrote:

Perhaps it is something to do with the ADSL technology ? Anyone know

Yes, it is. For same upload as download speeds you require SDSL.

Where would you get a hold of that then?

I am looking for around 1 meg upstream at home, am I just dreaming here or
would someone offer that? And what costs would be involved?

I presume I'd need to invest in some sort of business package, anyone have
any links for services they use?

take a look at the pricing from eclipse here
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=850. Availability is still
very limited, and you'll need to have money to burn.

--

Martin
Old July 10th 03, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:46 UTC, "It's Me" wrote:

Where would you get a hold of that then?

From one of between 70 and 100 exchanges where Easynet has their own kit.

Easynet and Bulldog appear to be the only players apart from BT with any
equipment in exchanges, so it depends even more closely on where you live
(Easynet made the investment in areas where they already had businesses on
ADSL, so they could provide them with higher speed ADSL 8 Mbps down, 750k
up, or up to 2 Mbps SDSL). I don't know how widely Bulldog service is
available. When last I looked there was mention of London or M25. I
use hosting services in the USA so don't need high speed upstream here,
even though I do have 2 ADSL lines (and ISDN) and have used all at once
from this PC.

I am looking for around 1 meg upstream at home, am I just dreaming here
or would someone offer that?

There are probably few good reasons for needing that much speed for u/l
and I'm not even going to speculate on why you wish for it... LOL

And what costs would be involved? ... some sort of business package,

Seeing the Eclipse costs, and having had some info from Easynet, you'd
have major costs. Easynet has a setup fee of 995+VAT AFAICR, and then
the annual cost would be around 1800 quid (sorry, I would have to do a
search for the PDFs I was sent - they're not in this machine). Peter.
Old July 10th 03, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

On 09 Jul 2003 12:27 pm, wrote:
"dA mAn" wrote:

Theres no cheap packages that offer half a meg up. There's 400kbps
upstream with 1mb, 2mb, and even 4mb downstream if you live in central
london with bulldog ISP. Several ISP's are starting to offer 1mbit
and 2mbit downstream services on most ADSL enabled exchanges but sitll
only offer the 256k/bit upload option. I think nildram or zen have
such a package for around 50 a month. Dan

Same abroad, I have ADSL lines in Belgium as well as UK. Belgium offer
3mb download but still only max of 256 up.

Perhaps it is something to do with the ADSL technology ? Anyone know ?

It's probably because, taking a look at a wider picture, ADSL with a
lower upload rate effectively throttles peer-to-peer downloads. If
everyone had SDSL, then Gnutella / BitTorrent downloads would all be
that much faster, we'd all be able to share more movies, and
consequently ISPs would have to pay more for their bandwidth.

Consider the ISP's point of view: you go down the pub, leaving your
computer on & someone Gnapsters for the RedHat CD.iso you have on your
hard-drive. You don't care that you're saturating your upstream
bandwidth, but the ISP does, because it has to pay for it, and because
there is less bandwidth available for their other subscribers.

So providing more upstream bandwidth is undesirable for ISPs. Since most
individuals are most interested in downloads, there is currently little
incentive for BT or ISPs to provide more upstream bandwidth, except to a
few premium subscribers.

This is my speculation, at least,

Stroller.
Old July 10th 03, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:46:33 +0000 (UTC), "It's Me"
wrote:

Where would you get a hold of that then?

BT are trialling SDSL on about 100 exchanges.
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1108

Phil
Old July 11th 03, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hill

"It's Me" wrote in message
Chris Buckley wrote:

Perhaps it is something to do with the ADSL technology ? Anyone know

Yes, it is. For same upload as download speeds you require SDSL.

Where would you get a hold of that then?

I am looking for around 1 meg upstream at home, am I just dreaming here or
would someone offer that? And what costs would be involved?

I presume I'd need to invest in some sort of business package, anyone have
any links for services they use?

I've been approached by a couple of wireless broadband operators LTT and
HedgehogBroadband. LTT were offering DSL on all but their budget package.
Their website isn't more than a placeholder at the minute, if you're
interested e-mail me and I'll give the e-mail addy of one of their
operatives.

Terry

www.broadband4headcorn.co.uk