Setup 2 PC's to share broadband

Old July 9th 03, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Setup 2 PC's to share broadband

I have a telewest blueyonder broadband connection on a WinXP PC, using a USB
port. How do I conncet my 2nd Win98 standalone PC to share the broadband
connection?

Old July 9th 03, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:21:51 +0100, "T"
wrote:

I have a telewest blueyonder broadband connection on a WinXP PC, using a USB
port. How do I conncet my 2nd Win98 standalone PC to share the broadband
connection?

Network the two PC's peer-to-peer. Then set-up up Internet connection
sharing on the XP Machine.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old July 9th 03, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cuzman

"T" wrote in message

" I have a telewest blueyonder broadband connection on a WinXP PC, using a
USB port. How do I conncet my 2nd Win98 standalone PC to share the broadband
connection? "

You have the following two options. '1' is cheap and simple, but with some
obvious draw-backs. '2' is more expensive, but better for a great number of
reasons.

1. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) didn't come until Windows 98SE (Second
Edition), so you will need to keep the broadband connection going into your
XP USB, and set up ICS on that machine. The easiest way to connect the two
PC's is with NIC's (Network Interface Cards) and an RJ45 crossover cable.
However, to access the internet on the Win98 system, you will need to be
running the Win XP system. If you need to restart the Win XP system (or if
it crashes), then you will temporarily lose the internet connection to the
Win 98 system.

2. Ditch the USB modem and buy a broadband router. Connect both PC's (via
NIC's and RJ45 cable) to the router. You can then use each machine
independently to access the internet.

Old July 9th 03, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I have a telewest blueyonder broadband connection on a WinXP PC, using a USB
port. How do I conncet my 2nd Win98 standalone PC to share the broadband
connection?

IIRC www.pcworld.co.uk were selling a Belkin 4 port router a while ago
for 50 (it was the cheapest i`d seen at the time) - one of the lads in
work uses one with his telewest connection.