ADSL Modem / Router recommendations

Old July 9th 03, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clueless

Default ADSL Modem / Router recommendations

1 Can anyone advice me as to the best budget router supporting SIP ? Am
setting up a home network for a friend and require Netmeeting / MSN
Messenger support. I am aware of the Vigor / Speedtouch 510 / Intertex IX66
/ SAR7x5 / CISCO 827. Any others found useful ? The cheapest appears to be
the Speedtouch 510.

2 Also for my experimentation with bonded uplink / multi homing on my new
Edimax 6541 (arrived today) I require Ethernet ADSL modems without routing.
.. Am aware of D-Link 300G+ and 3Com 812 / Zoom Hayes 5560 X3. Have not tried
bridged mode on my Efficient 5660 Speedstream or Efficient 5861 but figure I
will need one of the units from 1 in order to have SIP / IPSec support ?

Appreciate any suggestions / experience.

S. Althaf

Old July 9th 03, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mist

Clueless scribed to us that -
1 Can anyone advice me as to the best budget router supporting SIP ? Am
setting up a home network for a friend and require Netmeeting / MSN
Messenger support. I am aware of the Vigor / Speedtouch 510 / Intertex IX66
/ SAR7x5 / CISCO 827. Any others found useful ? The cheapest appears to be
the Speedtouch 510.

Beware that cheapest does not equal best.

--
Mist.
http://www.misthaven.org.uk/blog/
Old July 9th 03, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clueless

mist wrote:
Clueless scribed to us that -
1 Can anyone advice me as to the best budget router supporting SIP
? Am setting up a home network for a friend and require Netmeeting /
MSN Messenger support. I am aware of the Vigor / Speedtouch 510 /
Intertex IX66 / SAR7x5 / CISCO 827. Any others found useful ? The
cheapest appears to be the Speedtouch 510.

Beware that cheapest does not equal best.

True, but he is unlikely to need anymore than MSN Messenger support, VPN,
firewalls etc are not really a problem, just the basics. And by the time he
graduates to needing more, there will be new products on the market.
I take it you are not impressed by the Speedtouch then ?

S. Althaf

Old July 9th 03, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mist

Clueless scribed to us that -
mist wrote:
Clueless scribed to us that -
1 Can anyone advice me as to the best budget router supporting SIP
? Am setting up a home network for a friend and require Netmeeting /
MSN Messenger support. I am aware of the Vigor / Speedtouch 510 /
Intertex IX66 / SAR7x5 / CISCO 827. Any others found useful ? The
cheapest appears to be the Speedtouch 510.

Beware that cheapest does not equal best.

True, but he is unlikely to need anymore than MSN Messenger support, VPN,
firewalls etc are not really a problem, just the basics. And by the time he
graduates to needing more, there will be new products on the market.
I take it you are not impressed by the Speedtouch then ?

I've nothing against it as such, just tend to find that you get what you
pay for..