US Robotics SureConnect ADSL Router

Old July 9th 03, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

Default US Robotics SureConnect ADSL Router

Well, today I'm feeling pretty dumb.

I have an ADSL account with Eclipse, and have been connecting fine for
sometime with my router in NAT mode, and a private subnet on my LAN.
Now, it just so happens that my account includes a small /29 subnet of
proper IP addresses, of which I have only been using the first one,
and I have recently started to attempt in earnest to make use of my
globally addressable IPs.

Now it turns out that my previous router (an older model Efficient
Networks Speedstream) wouldn't handle this, because Eclipse require
the router to authenticate for the LAN when configured thusly, and the
SpeedStream only bridges dumbly.

So I discussed with Eclipse tech support, and found out which models
of router they recommend for this sort of thing, then promptly went &
ignored their advice & bought a US Robotics SureConnect instead,
because it matches my USR network hub, and they stack neatly & stuff.
The bloke I spoke to at Eclipse kindly checked over the spec & said it
looked ok - it does PPPoA & RFC1483 bridging, but now I've got the
unit in my grubby mitts, it seems unable to do both together.

The SureConnect has been running fine all day in NATted mode (the
PPPoA in the configuration menu), but I'm damned if I can work out how
to allocate my globally-addressable IPs to machines on my LAN. If I
choose one of the RFC1483 (routed or bridged) modes, the PPPoA
radio-button becomes unselected & there's nowhere for me to enter my
username & password.

Eclipse's support have (as ever) been helpful, but as they have never
used one of these, they can't give me a solution. USR's support staff
are just on drugs - they understand the general idea of NAT, but
globally addressable IPs behind one of their routers is quite beyond
them. One of them told me to set my workstation's IP to 213.152.XX.90
(within my allocated subnet) and the default gateway to be
192.168.1.1. Hello..?

If anyone has had success (or otherwise - if I'm wasting my time,
please let me know) with using one of these units with a small subnet,
I would be truly indebted to hear about it. I will happily buy a
bottle of scotch for anyone who can help me get this working. I think
I could send it back to the supplier, but I'd much rather get the
damned thing working as it should be (because it matches my decor, hub
&c).

Thanks in advance

Stroller.
Old July 11th 03, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Anderson

"Stroller" wrote in message m...

There's a firmware update on the USR support site, dated
April I think. If your firmware is older, it's worth getting
the updated version.

I've also had reason to call support for this modem. If you
persuade the 1st line support that your question requires
deeper technical know-how, they will get their in-depth
engineer to call you. I found him very helpful.

Tim