Second Phone Socket

Old July 9th 03, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Paintin

Default Second Phone Socket

Just had my broadband activated, and made a discovery; my adsl modem says
there is no dial tone when connected to the single bt socket I have
downstairs via an extension cable, obviously with the filter in place.
Is this common? Do I have to shell out for a second phone socket to be
installed upstairs? Or should I think about a newer extension cable (this
one was in the house when I moved in (cable ties and everything up the
stairs)?

Any ideas, greatfully received.

--
Regards

01010000011000010111010101101100001000000101000001 10000101101001011011100111
01000110100101101110
(Paul Paintin)

Old July 9th 03, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"Paul Paintin" wrote:

Just had my broadband activated, and made a discovery; my adsl modem says
there is no dial tone when connected to the single bt socket I have
downstairs via an extension cable, obviously with the filter in place.
Is this common? Do I have to shell out for a second phone socket to be
installed upstairs? Or should I think about a newer extension cable (this
one was in the house when I moved in (cable ties and everything up the
stairs)?

Any ideas, greatfully received.

Hi,
Firstly, if you have plugged your filter into the master socket, remove
it. Plug the extension directly into the master socket, without the filter.
Now at your PC, if the modem has a BT style plug, you can plug it directly
into the extension. If it has an RJ11 plug, you need to plug your filter
into the extension, and plug the modem into the ADSL side of the filter.

The filters are only required on sockets that connect to a normal telephone,
digibox, CLID unit, FAX machine etc. They filter out the ADSL signal to
stop it interfering with your telephone equipment, so if you plug the filter
into the master socket, and the extension into that, you have removed the
ADSL signal, hence your problem.

--

Martin
Old July 9th 03, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Paintin

Thanks for the suggstions.
Problem is, I have a phone & digibox I need to plug into the master socket
donwnstairs, as well as plugging the extension lead in, to get the telecoms
upstairs, where I have another phone and the pc, so I need the filter
downstairs, yeah?
And I find myself putting a second filter on the end of the extension lead
to enable me to plug the adsl modem into it as well as the upstairs phone.

Guessing I'm fuggered; wonder how much BT charge to install a second
socket...

Paul.

"Martin Cooper" wrote in message
. ..

Old July 9th 03, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dr.black

"Paul Paintin" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggstions.
Problem is, I have a phone & digibox I need to plug into the master socket
donwnstairs, as well as plugging the extension lead in, to get the

telecoms
upstairs, where I have another phone and the pc, so I need the filter
downstairs, yeah?
And I find myself putting a second filter on the end of the extension lead
to enable me to plug the adsl modem into it as well as the upstairs phone.

Guessing I'm fuggered; wonder how much BT charge to install a second
socket...

snip(sorry)
Paul, Easy solution open the socket cut the end of the adaptor,hardwire the
white/blue to either connection a or if idc 2,and the blue/white to b or idc
5 replace socket face, plug filter in downstairs and add filter upstairs,
should now work ok, oh and i think bt charge about 60-70 if not more, hth