BT Openworld Business

Old July 10th 03, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alien Zord

Default BT Openworld Business

"FW" wrote in message
I have ordered the BT Business 500 Plug & Go broadband package. Is

this for
USB use only? I have an ISDN/ADSL router which I use to allow two

computers
to use the ISDN connection. This router is ADSL compatible but will it

not
work with the BT package?
Thanks

"Business 500 and Business 500 Plug&Go - single-user (USB)

These products are intended for single computers and we do not

recommend any
local networking.

We advise that you do not replace the modem provided with your own

router or
modem."

Why choose engineer installed product if you already have ADSL router?
And why BTO? After mine and my customer's problems I would not touch
them with a bargepole. Continuously change T&Cs on the fly, most
restrictions and most likely to introduce even more restrictions. I have
never regretted ditching them in favour of Pipex Home Office (I have it
on my business line with multiple computers). 24.95+VAT pcm and I've
only noticed 2 breaks of service in 16 months.

Old July 10th 03, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart

"Alien Zord" wrote in message

And why BTO? After mine and my customer's problems I would not touch
them with a bargepole. Continuously change T&Cs on the fly, most
restrictions and most likely to introduce even more restrictions.

I had a BTO Business package for over 2 years.

They did not change mt T&Cs in that period. Unlike others, including Pipex,
they don't restrict 'commercial use' on entry packages. I am not sure the
extra restrictions you refer to.

And apart from CS and the infamous 'proxy' in the early days - they service
worked as well (and as badly) as many other people's. Indeed now I have
switched to Zen (more IPs for less money) I was surprised to see that
webpages take exactly twice as long to come from my US datacentre than using
BTO. I am unable to access certain servers because Zen are now giving out
IPs that are not accepted thru old firewalls (OK it is the firewall
operator's problem - not Zen's - but that is not a help when I have to
dial-up a server I could get via BTO).

Not saying BTO is great and they are certainly not on my recommendation list
for new users. But much of what is said about them is unfair....

--
Stuart

Old July 11th 03, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alien Zord

"Stuart" wrote in message

"Alien Zord" wrote in message

And why BTO? After mine and my customer's problems I would not touch
them with a bargepole. Continuously change T&Cs on the fly, most
restrictions and most likely to introduce even more restrictions.

I had a BTO Business package for over 2 years.

They did not change mt T&Cs in that period. Unlike others, including

Pipex,
they don't restrict 'commercial use' on entry packages. I am not sure

the
extra restrictions you refer to.

I started with BTO at the dawn of ADSL (had no choice). They changed the
T&Cs twice in the first 12 months. They throttled P2P, tried to
introduce daily cap, killed their own support NG when it started filling
up with complaints, reduced anytime unmetered dial-up to 150 hours and
generally provided shoddy service to all. Why do you think Oftel
receives 3 times as many complaints against BTO (per 1000 users) as it
does against NTL or Demon and 5 times as many as against Pipex, Tiscali
or Onetel?
http://www.oftel.gov.uk/publications...r/comp0603.htm

Old July 11th 03, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"snip

http://www.oftel.gov.uk/publications...r/comp0603.htm

Thanks for that site.

Interesting to see the facts you'd always suspected.

eric

Old July 11th 03, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart

"Alien Zord" wrote in message
"Stuart" wrote in message

"Alien Zord" wrote in message

And why BTO? After mine and my customer's problems I would not touch
them with a bargepole. Continuously change T&Cs on the fly, most
restrictions and most likely to introduce even more restrictions.

I had a BTO Business package for over 2 years.

They did not change mt T&Cs in that period. Unlike others, including

Pipex,
they don't restrict 'commercial use' on entry packages. I am not sure

the
extra restrictions you refer to.

I started with BTO at the dawn of ADSL (had no choice). They changed the
T&Cs twice in the first 12 months. They throttled P2P, tried to
introduce daily cap, killed their own support NG when it started filling
up with complaints, reduced anytime unmetered dial-up to 150 hours and
generally provided shoddy service to all.

From the top.

* My T&Cs were not changed between 04/01 & 07/03.
* They didn't 'throttle P2P'. They restricted some P2P services that was
taking a disproportionate resources that was adversely impacting the
majority. So people using P2P for normal business use (like FTP) mostly
gained at the time.
* Daily cap - none introduced - unlike other BB providers. Can you reference
any proposal?
* Support NG killed. Connected the day it was made available to business
users. It was still there last month.
* Reduced dial-up - this is ADSL!!!!

BT CS are not the best. And they do have special trouble dealing with
confused people. Which may be your problem.

--
Stuart