wireless router

Old July 11th 03, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Default wireless router

Hi

I now have the option of adsl (or will have very soon as the trigger level
has been hit), I have home highway in my study (and no other phone lines)
and various normal phone points connected to an additional normal phone line
through the house. I would like to keep the hh box and 2 lines in my study
so could I install a wireless router direct to one of the other phone lines
and then connect my main pc through it - I want wireless anyway as I
currently connect 2 other notebooks and one other pc through a 11b wifi
network (and ICS) via my main study pc.

Ideally the router could be in the kitchen which is the center of the house
and would provide easy access to all the pc's.

Is this possible and would I need a pc to be connected to the router?

Any advice and recommendations would be welcomed

Cheers

Ian

Old July 11th 03, 04:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Ian wrote:

I now have the option of adsl (or will have very soon as the trigger level
has been hit), I have home highway in my study (and no other phone lines)
and various normal phone points connected to an additional normal phone line
through the house. I would like to keep the hh box and 2 lines in my study
so could I install a wireless router direct to one of the other phone lines

If I understand what you are saying, you want to keep the ISDN service
in addition to getting ADSL put in on another (existing) line?

and then connect my main pc through it - I want wireless anyway as I
currently connect 2 other notebooks and one other pc through a 11b wifi
network (and ICS) via my main study pc.

Ideally the router could be in the kitchen which is the center of the house
and would provide easy access to all the pc's.

Is this possible and would I need a pc to be connected to the router?

Yes this is possible - with some wireless routers you may need to plug
them in via a cable as a temporary mesure to set them up - but after
that everything can run wireless if you want.

For greatest flexibility you may want to look at an ADSL router and a
separate wireless access point.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 12th 03, 05:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Ian wrote:

Ian wrote:

If I understand what you are saying, you want to keep the ISDN service
in addition to getting ADSL put in on another (existing) line?

Yes thats exactally what I want

OK - That't alot of standing charges!

(myself I changed from single Home Highway, to two pots lines with ADSL
on one - seems at least as flexible as the HH on its own)

Yes this is possible - with some wireless routers you may need to plug
them in via a cable as a temporary mesure to set them up - but after
that everything can run wireless if you want.

This wouldn't be a problem as I guess I could use one of the laptops

Thge other thing to note is the router does not need to be anyware near
the ADSL phone socket while you are setting it up! You can set it up -
disconnect it and then put it in its final resting place if that helps.

For greatest flexibility you may want to look at an ADSL router and a
separate wireless access point.

--

Any suggestions for a decent wired/wireless router?

the main pc has a net gear usb wireless adaptor, one of the notebooks has a
netgear wireless pccard, the other is a dell centrino 500m with built in
intel pro wifi and I also have an ipaq with a cf netgear wifi card. I do
have a netgear wifi access point (which I've never used as peer to peer has
been ok upto this point) so I guess I could use that but for neatness a
wireless router would probably suit me best.

Since you are mostly running netgear stuff you may like the DG814 - I
set one of those up for a customer the other day - pretty straight
forward with a nice web interface. Just plug your WAP into it with a
short cable - plomp it on top - stick it on a shelf somewhere!

If you want a fully integrated solution, then we have been supplying the
Solwise SAR715PVW routers to customers recently. These are far more
sophisticated routers than the netgear one (has built in support for VPN
termination etc, plus quite sophisticated firewall capabilities, uPnP
etc). The slight downside it they use an internal PC card for the
wireless capability and hence their wireless range is not quite as good
as ones with external antennae.

You could also go for a 715PV without the wireless option and use your
existing WAP. That would save some money.

(personally I like having the WAP in a separate box since they are
usually quite small and neat these days, so you can find a place that
gives best coverage to mount it, and then run a CAT5 cable back to the
rest of the network - or in your case just the ADSL router)

The level of sophistication you want in your router will depend on what
you main uses for it will be. If you just want to surf and email then
anything will do within reason. If you need remote access to your
network then one with VPN capability would be handy. If you like to use
things like MS messenger or Netmeeting then something with more
sophisticated firewall capabilities and perhaps uPnP would be usefull.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 13th 03, 01:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Note that for best coverage your wireless AP needs to be as high as
possible - kitchen is probably not the best place. Netgear is lot a trouble,
constantly updating firmware, returned mine - it didn't work.
Now I got Draytec Vigor 2200We all in one, works great, even 70m across to
another building.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 13th 03, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
malkz

Now I got Draytec Vigor 2200We all in one, works great, even 70m across to
another building.

70m ! ,,,i got a Dreytec 2600we for 2 existings machines and in the
expectation of buying
a laptop soon,,,i was wondering how far the signal would extend,,,like to my
local,
about 50'ish steps away,,,,(more on the way home of course!)
Malkz