Webhosting options/broadband for hosting a website/hosting fro servlets and sql server

Old July 11th 03, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Harvey

Default Webhosting options/broadband for hosting a website/hosting fro servlets and sql server

Hi everyone,
Can anyone recommend a decent host for my companies website? I am
implementing a small content management system and would need access to a
fair bit of database space (1 - 2G) (Oracle or SQL Server please)

The company is quite small - less than 15 people and is based in a small
town in scotland. I'm sure there must be some decent hosts out there but the
only one I've looked at was talking about database access in the region of
tens of megabytes which wont be enough.

If I cant get a host, what can we do? We do have a fairly meaty server but
we dont have broadband (its out of range and we dont have a huge budget.

Heres the only thing i can think of. Given that our exchange is not enabled,
and assuming that i cant find a suitable host (balls) - I could host the
site at a location that i know has a 2 meg down and 1 meg up connection to
the internet. Could this host a small site using ALL that bandwidth (the
owner is thinking about disbanding the line anywho). Also, if i got one of
those connections under plusnet residential contract, could i host a site. I
know is a tricky question but assuming that the server doesnt slow things
down, how many hits could we handle per second (i dont expect more than 5
per second at the very very most)

Any suggetsions greatfully received

Simon

Old July 12th 03, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:40, "Simon Harvey" wrote:

a fair bit of database space (1 - 2G) (Oracle or SQL Server please)

You might try using http://groups.google.com/ and advanced search in
alt.internet.providers.uk for hosting.

You can post your query and I would expect suggestions concerning either
firms themselves using UK hosting, or suggesting you have a dedicated
server (at under 200 quid/month) where disk space and traffic would
not be a problem. Before you go to some specific firms (whose ads
you might see in Internet Works, etc) I suggest you ask for comments
from past users about them... might lead you to exclude a few firms
where initial cost/service looks great. Peter M

Old July 12th 03, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Harvey

Many thanks for your help peter

Simon