Cheapest deal on a Vigor 2600?

Old July 11th 03, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ballistic

Default Cheapest deal on a Vigor 2600?

CB had a sudden rush of blood to the head and
wrote in :

On 11 Jul 2003 11:23:23 -0500 and in article
30, Ballistic
said...
Just got my order confirmation from Zen to be on the extended
reach ADSL trial. I'm going to go for the Draytek Vigor 2600.
What's the cheapest online supplier at the moment?

Erm, can't answer that question, but what about if you fail the
line test this time around as well? Then you'll be stuck with a
piece of equipment you have no need for :/

This time it's gone further than that. Before (I've tried twice), I
would get an email response to my order saying that the line test
failed, sorry, tough luck. This time it says

"Your order is currently being processed and a request has now been
sent to BT in order for the service to be activated from your local
exchange. As soon as we receive confirmation of an activation date
from BT we will contact you immediately via the em ail address you
provided to us during the online order process. It currently takes
BT approximately 5 working days to activate a compatible BT line."

So I'm thinking that I've passed the test for the extended reach
trial. The first time I ordered, I was told that I was 5.7km.

--
Ash ([:])

BOTAFOT#82 UKRMFBC#8 HMC#5 YFC#0(KotL)
ETV1000 Caponord http://www.theredline.co.uk/ballistic
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast
enough." -- Mario Andretti

Old July 12th 03, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

--

"CB" wrote in message
On 11 Jul 2003 12:04:06 -0500 and in article
30, Ballistic said...
This time it's gone further than that. Before (I've tried twice), I
would get an email response to my order saying that the line test
failed, sorry, tough luck. This time it says

"Your order is currently being processed and a request has now been
sent to BT in order for the service to be activated from your local
exchange. As soon as we receive confirmation of an activation date
from BT we will contact you immediately via the em ail address you
provided to us during the online order process. It currently takes
BT approximately 5 working days to activate a compatible BT line."

Sounds like you went with Zen? As far as I know the decision to test
your line will be done by BT once they're received your order from your
ISP.

You might want to consider the Thomson/Alcatel 510 which Zen do at a good price.
The Alcatel Frog has a good reputation on poor lines.

I am in exactly the same situation as you. i.e. extended reach order with Zen
and have received the above note which I have been told does not mean that we
have passed the line test - alas.!! (see my posts on www.adslguide.org.uk)

My plan is to wait until I hear whether the line has been approved before
ordering hardware, though if you order from Zen you should be able to send it
back if the line fails.

Michael Chare

Old July 12th 03, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Michael Chare wrote:
You might want to consider the Thomson/Alcatel 510 which Zen do at a good price.
The Alcatel Frog has a good reputation on poor lines.

Isn't the frog USB? i.e. only connects to one PC?

My plan is to wait until I hear whether the line has been approved before
ordering hardware, though if you order from Zen you should be able to send it
back if the line fails.

My plan is to get a router with multiple ethernet outputs, as it can simply
replace the ethernet switch I'm currently using, and I can tinker with the
settings and be prepared when the service is switched on.

Rod.

Old July 13th 03, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jefferies

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:50:44 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:
In article , Michael Chare wrote:
You might want to consider the Thomson/Alcatel 510 which Zen do at a good price.
The Alcatel Frog has a good reputation on poor lines.

Isn't the frog USB? i.e. only connects to one PC?

It's also the modem that a BT engineer will use if he needs to test
your line and demonstrate it as working.

Except they call at a Stingray

Ian.

--
Ian Jefferies
(e-mail will bounce, send to "Ian at" instead)
Old July 13th 03, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:50:44 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:
In article , Michael Chare
wrote:
You might want to consider the Thomson/Alcatel 510 which Zen do at
a good price. The Alcatel Frog has a good reputation on poor

lines.

Isn't the frog USB? i.e. only connects to one PC?

It's also the modem that a BT engineer will use if he needs to test
your line and demonstrate it as working.

Except they call at a Stingray

Ian.

Oh no we don't............................

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old July 13th 03, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
In article , Michael Chare wrote:
You might want to consider the Thomson/Alcatel 510 which Zen do at a good

price.
The Alcatel Frog has a good reputation on poor lines.

Isn't the frog USB? i.e. only connects to one PC?

My assumption (and it is only that) is that the 510 would use the same or
simliar chipset to the Frog for the adsl modem and would therefore also perform
well on poor lines.

Michael Chare

Old July 13th 03, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

Default Test equipment question for Kráftéé

Oh no we don't............................

Is it really true that you ADSL line insertion loss test equipment only reads up
to a loss of 60db?

What does the equipment display if the loss exceeds 60 db?

Do you by any chance know how accurate the equipment is?

Michael Chare

Old July 13th 03, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jefferies

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:55:06 +0100, "Kráftéé"
wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:50:44 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:
In article , Michael Chare
wrote:
You might want to consider the Thomson/Alcatel 510 which Zen do at
a good price. The Alcatel Frog has a good reputation on poor

lines.

Isn't the frog USB? i.e. only connects to one PC?

It's also the modem that a BT engineer will use if he needs to test
your line and demonstrate it as working.

Except they call at a Stingray

Oh no we don't............................

That the Alcatel modem isn't used by BT engineers or that it it isn't
called a stingray.

Well I kow of one BT engineer who called it a stingray... perhaps I
was overgeneralizing a tad.

I hope after all that you are a BT engineer (I'm new to this group

Ian.

--
Ian Jefferies
(e-mail will bounce, use Reply-To or send to "news001 at" instead)
Old July 14th 03, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Oh no we don't............................

Is it really true that you ADSL line insertion loss test equipment
only reads up to a loss of 60db?

What does the equipment display if the loss exceeds 60 db?

Do you by any chance know how accurate the equipment is?

Michael Chare

We have now been supplied with a new software package which will allow
the testing of lines over 60db (ie extEnded reach) with the use of a
Alcatel router. As for how good it is, I'm afraid I can't tell you as
I only used it once but it is a lot more fuvving about & indeed
requires a 240v supply, for the router, which will cause problems when
testing in the field (from up poles, down holes, in pcp's etc).

Judging by the source of the software, I would imagine that it will be
as accurate as the good old whoosh test (but I still want a
tempo/presto tester, just in case the boss is browsing)

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old July 15th 03, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasper

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:40:18 +0100, "Kraftee"
wrote:

[...]

If the boss WAS browsing, he would be surprised to see you call the
woosh test a "whoosh" test ..............!!

Jasper