ADSL and SMTP email - Demon, Nildram, Zen

Old July 11th 03, 07:52 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

Default ADSL and SMTP email - Demon, Nildram, Zen

- switch to another ADSL provider, say Nildram or Zen. Eg ZEN says its
backup servers can be accessed via POP and will also retry SMTP delivery
"as soon as the SMTP server becomes available"

- Stay with Demon but change the MX record to point to a remote email
server under our control.

I'd be particularly interested in comments from anyone with a similar

setup
but with Nildram or Zen - is there any problem with emails that go to the
backup servers?

Tim

Tim,

I can think of two short term solutions to this problem.

1. Remove Demon's mail servers from the MX records completely, leaving only
the primary. If delivery to it fails, mail will queue on the originating
server, and no mail should be lost. This will obviously make many people
gasp in horror.. :-)

2. I vaguely remember (long time since I have had anything to do with Demon)
that you can send ETRN commands to the Demon mail server. Configure your
exchange box to do this every 10 mins or so and see if that kicks the
servers into action.

Cheers,

Colin

Old July 11th 03, 08:17 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Anderson

"Colin" wrote in message ...

2. I vaguely remember (long time since I have had anything to do with Demon)
that you can send ETRN commands to the Demon mail server. Configure your
exchange box to do this every 10 mins or so and see if that kicks the
servers into action.

I don't think you can do this with the relay servers. They are different
from the ones used for dial-up and ISDN.

Tim