Anyone advise on configuring router for games please?

Old July 11th 03, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dunk

Default Anyone advise on configuring router for games please?

I've got a Netgear DG824M connected to BTOpenworld ADSL.
I'm trying to play an on-line game, Medal Of Honor, with me and another PC
on my LAN connecting to the same Medal Of Honor server. When either one of
us connects to a server (without the other one) it works fine but as soon as
the second PC tries to join the game the connection is lost for the first PC

I'm assuming this is a router setup issue, right? Can anyone advise me what
changes I might need to make?

Thanks a lot.

Old July 11th 03, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I'm trying to play an on-line game, Medal Of Honor, with me and another PC
on my LAN connecting to the same Medal Of Honor server. When either one of
us connects to a server (without the other one) it works fine but as soon as
the second PC tries to join the game the connection is lost for the first PC
I'm assuming this is a router setup issue, right? Can anyone advise me what
changes I might need to make?

I think it might be that the server will only allow one connection per
IP.

Even though both your machines have a seperate IP address "internally",
the external IP address for both machines will be the same...
Old July 11th 03, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dunk

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
I'm trying to play an on-line game, Medal Of Honor, with me and another

PC
on my LAN connecting to the same Medal Of Honor server. When either one

of
us connects to a server (without the other one) it works fine but as

soon as
the second PC tries to join the game the connection is lost for the

first PC
I'm assuming this is a router setup issue, right? Can anyone advise me

what
changes I might need to make?

I think it might be that the server will only allow one connection per
IP.

Even though both your machines have a seperate IP address "internally",
the external IP address for both machines will be the same...

I don't think that's the case because it worked just fine before I got this
crappy Netgear router. We used to use ICS with the other PC connecting
through this one via LAN cable. It worked great then.

Old July 11th 03, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dunk

[email protected] writeme.com wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:25:47 +0100, "Dunk" wrote:

I've got a Netgear DG824M connected to BTOpenworld ADSL.
I'm trying to play an on-line game, Medal Of Honor, with me and another

PC
on my LAN connecting to the same Medal Of Honor server. When either one

of
us connects to a server (without the other one) it works fine but as soon

as
the second PC tries to join the game the connection is lost for the first

PC

I don't know about MOH, but a lot of online games have a CD key. If
MOH has one, do you have a unique key for both machines?

No, I use the same key that hundreds of other folks use. It doesn't seem to
be a problem when not running through a router though.

Old July 12th 03, 05:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Mark McIntyre wrote:

You'd probably need to run in non-NAT mode, and that would require 2
IP addresses from your ISP.

I saw elsethread that you had this working before getting a router. If
this was the case, it was probably because the 2nd PC was hidden
behind the first one, and appeared to be the same connection.

Erm - I think you will find this is called NAT!

If it works through ICS then it's not a NAT issue.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 12th 03, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dunk

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:25:47 +0100, "Dunk" wrote:

I've got a Netgear DG824M connected to BTOpenworld ADSL.
I'm trying to play an on-line game, Medal Of Honor, with me and another

PC
on my LAN connecting to the same Medal Of Honor server. When either one

of
us connects to a server (without the other one) it works fine but as soon

as
the second PC tries to join the game the connection is lost for the first

PC

most online games track your IP address. Since you have the same one,
you're going to boot each other off.

I'm assuming this is a router setup issue, right? Can anyone advise me

what
changes I might need to make?

You'd probably need to run in non-NAT mode, and that would require 2
IP addresses from your ISP.

I saw elsethread that you had this working before getting a router. If
this was the case, it was probably because the 2nd PC was hidden
behind the first one, and appeared to be the same connection.

TNH you'd be better off asking the people who run the Medal of Honor
servers.

Well thanks for the reply Mark. I'll see if I can get some help from the MoH
folks like you suggested.

What does TNH mean? I've never come across that one before.

Old July 12th 03, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:14:13 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Mark McIntyre wrote:

You'd probably need to run in non-NAT mode, and that would require 2
IP addresses from your ISP.

I saw elsethread that you had this working before getting a router. If
this was the case, it was probably because the 2nd PC was hidden
behind the first one, and appeared to be the same connection.

Erm - I think you will find this is called NAT!

Its NAT right enough, but implemented differently. In the router case,
you've a passthrough device doing nothing but route the traffic to a
different IP. In the ICS case, one of the PCs is actually the router
so effectively no routing takes place for some of the traffic.

If it works through ICS then it's not a NAT issue.

Possibly. Only the makers can tell us. My guess is that the game
Old July 12th 03, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:03:15 +0100, "Dunk" wrote:

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message
.. .
TNH you'd be better off asking the people who run the Medal of Honor
servers.

What does TNH mean? I've never come across that one before.

Fat fingers. s/N/B.