Line Noise on BT phone line, Will ADSL work?

Old July 11th 03, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-Captain-Pugwash-

Default Line Noise on BT phone line, Will ADSL work?

I am currently looking at getting PlusNet or Zen ADSL, but I currently have
loads of line noise on my normal BT phone line. It is intermittent and
varies from none at all, to sometimes so much that I cannot get a dial up to
the internet to stay connected. I have got BT to come and check it, and
they said they would change something in the wires connecting the house to
the telegraph pole, which worked for a few months then the line noise came
back.

I want to know what happens when I sign up for ADSL self install - I am
worried that this line noise will affect the speed of connection, and I will
end up with the ISP saying that it is BT's problem, and BT saying that it is
the ISP's problem. Because of this I am actually considering using BT as an
ISP, so that they have only themselves to blame, but reading the posts on
this NG, I would prefer not to.

What is the procedure once I sign up with an ISP for ADSL?

Thanks,

Old July 12th 03, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
D Side

Report the line fault. (noisy)
150

Old July 12th 03, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-Captain-Pugwash-

I have in the past contacted BT several times about it... they said the line
is only guaranteed for voice quality, and any use for data (i.e. with a
modem) cannot be guaranteed. However, they did send an engineer out, and on
the day he called, the noise was not noisy!! However, on a second occasion
an engineer came out and it was noisy. He changed some wiring at the box
halfway down the road, which seemed to fix the problem (or at least it was
not noisy when he left), but the noise returned a couple of weeks later.

"cyberdog" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:40:24 +0100, Martin Cooper
wrote:

if you have line noise, then you should hassle BT dirctly to get it
sorted out

No need to hassle anyone. Just ring 150 and report it noisey, they will
com and fix it. So long as the noise is not on your own equipment that
is.

Old July 13th 03, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
trappeduser

"-Captain-Pugwash-" wrote in
message ...
I have in the past contacted BT several times about it... they said the

line
is only guaranteed for voice quality, and any use for data (i.e. with a
modem) cannot be guaranteed. However, they did send an engineer out, and

on
the day he called, the noise was not noisy!! However, on a second

occasion
an engineer came out and it was noisy. He changed some wiring at the box
halfway down the road, which seemed to fix the problem (or at least it was
not noisy when he left), but the noise returned a couple of weeks later.

I had this a while ago before broadband, it was a pain in the bum because
the
noise kept coming and going so it was hard to solve the problem. It took BT
about a week to sort it out, the phone line I use is a dedicated internet
line and
they were very happy to help me. Just dial 150 and report a noisy line, say
it's
useless for accessing the internet. If they get funny about it threaten them
with
the cancelation of the line, that never fails.

When I had noise on the line my narrowband was USELESS, I assume the
same would apply to ADSL.

Old July 13th 03, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
trappeduser

"-Captain-Pugwash-" wrote in
message ...
This is exactly it... sometimes I can get quite a good narrowband
connection, other times it just keeps dropping the connection or gets

about
a 12k connection. This is one of the reasons I am looking at getting

ADSL.
Did BT tell you what the problem was with your line?

There was a small connection problem on the telephone pole outside my
house. When I reported the fault the line was really crackly so they did a
line test quickly and noted that it was not a constant problem. As that line
was dedicated internet they did fix it. This was on narrowband and i could
not get any life online, even getting my e-mail was impossible.

Hope BT don't give you anymore crap.

Matt

Old July 14th 03, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Burtt

This is an awfully familiar story. I had intermitent terrible noise on my
phone line at the end of last year to the point where it was sometimes
impossible to hold a conversation , let alone make narrowband connections.

I logged the fault on five seperate occasions and had five different
engineers out to "fix" it. Each one left claiming to have doe something to
resolve the problem, but each time (except the last) the fault was still
there.

For what its worth, the fault I had was a simple loose wiring issue on the
main phone socket. The fifth engineer dismantled my phone socket and one of
the wires from the outside simply fell out of the screw down connector. Why
it took _five_ trained engineers to spot a simple fault like that I'll never
know.

Good luck

Malcolm Burtt

"-Captain-Pugwash-" wrote in
message ...

Old July 15th 03, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

Probably because of the sheer range of hardware they have to deal with
and the fact that so much of it dates back to who knows when. Also with
so much of the quipement out in the open, any of the "joints" in the
connection could be the cause of the problem. If you've ever had
problems with a car that doesn't like damp weather, you will know what I
mean, it's almost impossible to fix. (of course, you should always start
with the obvious! But cut them a little slack, it's easy to forget
something).

From Malcolm Burtt:

--
Julian Knight,
| *** Remove Anti Spam bits from address for Email Replies *** |
Old July 15th 03, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
D Side

"Malcolm Burtt" wrote in message
"This is an awfully familiar story. I had intermitent terrible noise on my
phone line" "the fault I had was a simple loose wiring issue on the main
phone socket." "Why
it took _five_ trained engineers to spot a simple fault like that I'll

never"

Did the other four have access to your property? Was it noisy when they were
there? Can anyone be trained to find a fault that is not evident at the time
of a visit? The line may be several miles long - engineers deal with all of
it - not just the last few metres in the house.

Old July 16th 03, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
D Side

"Malcolm Burtt" wrote in message
" Its easy to miss a simple fault, I know. That doesn't make it any less
irritating when you have to take time off work 5 times to get a satisfactory
fix"

I would agree - but it all strikes me as a little odd. If I were in your
property and I could hear it crackling/noisy at the master socket I would
remove the face-plate and test with your extensions removed. Naturally - in
your case - the noise would have still been there - that is - nte-to-line.
Why any engineer would then assume it was your extension escapes me - unless
the noise was never heard. My next step would be to take the master socket
apart whereupon I would have found your fault.

I'm trained the same way as every other engineer so there is a problem with
all this somewhere. Care to post me the fault report numbers so I can
look???

Old July 17th 03, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Burtt

(With the wonderful benefit of hindsight,) I would also have progressed on a
similar fault finding trail as you suggest. Sadly, only the successful
engineer dismantled the master socket any further than removing the
faceplate that disconnects the extension sockets.

I'd love to help as it would be interesting to know what went on, but this
was months ago so I've no record of that. Anything else I can supply that
would be of assistance?