Freeserve and modems

Old July 12th 03, 06:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Default Freeserve and modems

Ellis

I plan to sign up with Freeserve next week and I understand they will send
me a free usb modem. The thing is I have already bought a modem/router and I
am going to use that. My question is do I have to tell Freeserve that I
plan to use my own router - or not?

If there is nothing in their Ts&Cs about using the supplied modem - then
no need to tell them. If there is, then don't tell them! ;-)

I have read the router manual (Sar 715) and the router set-up looks straight
forward enough. What is confusing me is the dial up connection to freeserve.
Is it possible to set up my own dial-up connection by simply putting the
freeserve telephone number in as we do at present with the narrowband

ADSL is not a dialup technology - hence there is no telephone number
required.

connection or is it essential to run the freeserve set-up program that comes
with their cd-rom?

You can ignore the CD - it won't understand the first thing about your
router anyway. Its probably just got drivers for the bundled modem.

Once you have set the basic router settings as described in the manual
you can enter the username and password as setup with freeserve into the
router and off it should go.

You will also need to setup your email software to send and receive
email via freeserve's servers.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 12th 03, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ellis

"John Rumm" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks John, that has clarified the situation a great deal. I should have
mentioned that I am already signed up with Freeserve (on narrow-band) so I
presume I can simply leave the email accounts settings as they are. The
only other thing that is not clear to me is how to configure the router so
that it can access freeserve's servers. The manual does describe how to set
the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties" and I have put in the following
settings.

o Use the following DNS server addresses.

Preferred DNS server 195-92-195-94
Alternate DNS server 195-92-195-95

I found these Freeserve DNS settings by doing a Google search so I hope they
are the right ones. Can you confirm that these are the settings that tell
the router where to find the ISP servers?

Thanks for your help

Ellis

Old July 12th 03, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"Ellis" wrote:

snip
[...]

Hi,
you should not need to do this. Your router should have an option to
use the DNS servers supplied by the ISP. When this option is enabled, the
router will be told the correct DNS addresses when it connects to the
network. Each PC should then be left on 'Obtain DNS server address
automatically'. When the PC gets its IP address from the router, it should
also pickup the routers IP as the DNS server. You may have an option
something like 'enable DNS passthrough' on the router that would also need
to be enabled.

That said, those are the correct freeserve DNS serrvers as advertised on
http://www.freeserve.com/help/id/6078.htm

--

Martin
Old July 12th 03, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ellis

"Martin Cooper" wrote in message
. ..
"Ellis" wrote:

snip
[...]

Thanks Martin,

I will print out what you have just told me and go through the setup
process again. I am confident now that I have all the information I need to
set up the system when I get connected to broadband on or about the 23rd of
this month. I was hoping the router would get the settings automatically.
This Sar 715 seems a handy little router and I am glad I chose it. Thanks
for confirming the freeserve DNS settings.

Ellis

Old July 12th 03, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Johnny Too Bad

Hi Ellis,

You might find the settings below useful. I setup my router using these
which Freeserve Support kindly supplied. They do not support home network
connections but all that means is "any problems and your on your own", it
doesn't mean they don't allow them. That was what I was told when I asked
them. Hence when I asked for the settings to use they could only say "these
are the settings our modems use" but they are exactly what you need. I used
an SMC Barricade ADSL router/modem SMC7404BRA and the crucial setting turned
out to be the VCI.

You may also find it useful to know that my connection was active within 4
working days. They state it will be active "within" 10 days so set that
router/modem up and keep trying. I get a good speed out of them at around
480-490 kbits/sec (measured using NetPerSec). Very pleased with both FS and
the SMC7404BRA which also includes a print server so was an absolute bargain
at ~92 (Dabs)

Steve

VCI = 38

VPI = 0

PPP = PPPoA

ENCAPSULATION = VCMUX

MODULATION = MULTIMODE (NOT ASKED FOR IN SMC SETUP)

AUTHENTICATION = PAP (NOT ASKED FOR IN SMC SETUP)

DNS = DYNAMIC SO LEAVE BLANK

IP IS ALLOCATED DYNAMICALLY SO NO IP ADDRESS/SUBNET MASK NEEDED

NO DIAL-UP PHONE NUMBER NEEDED

"Ellis" wrote in message

"Martin Cooper" wrote in message
. ..

snip

Old July 12th 03, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ellis

Johnny Too Bad" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Steve

All your comments duly noted and added to my set-up folio.

Ellis