Homechoice 1mb crashes

Old July 12th 03, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Junkmale

Default Homechoice 1mb crashes

Hi
I am having problems with the Homechoice 1mb ADSL service. Whenever I
attempt to download files the sytem crashes after a minute or so.
I get this message: 'A fatal exception has occurred at 0028:C0003ADB
in VXD VMM(01) + 00002ADB'
I have an Asus A7V133 VIA motherboard and I use a Duron 1ghz, running
98SE.
Any ideas?
Old July 12th 03, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Junkmale

I just tried a powered USB hub and that made no difference, I'm afraid

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:58:22 +0100, "Gus" wrote:

"Junkmale" wrote in message
Hi
I am having problems with the Homechoice 1mb ADSL service. Whenever I
attempt to download files the sytem crashes after a minute or so.
I get this message: 'A fatal exception has occurred at 0028:C0003ADB
in VXD VMM(01) + 00002ADB'
I have an Asus A7V133 VIA motherboard and I use a Duron 1ghz, running
98SE.
Any ideas?

Quick and cheap fix for that is buy a USB PCI expansion card or get a
powered USB hub[self powered not from the motherboard], as the USB modem
draws more power than most VIA chipset mother boards can delivery, so you
get crashes.

Old July 13th 03, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave Stanton

Quick and cheap fix for that is buy a USB PCI expansion card or get a
powered USB hub[self powered not from the motherboard], as the USB modem
draws more power than most VIA chipset mother boards can delivery, so you
get crashes.

So much for the VIA theory then !

Dave

Old July 13th 03, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Declan Moriarty

I have a VIA motherboard with an Athlon 2100+ processor. My Alcatel Frog
could be installed on Windows 98SE and on reboot would crash.

I upgraded to Windows XP and the problem was fixed. This might help in your
case.

Alternative buy a router and modem combined and install an eithernet card in
your PC. Then connect the router to the PC by eeithernet cable. You then
have to set the routher up to work with your broadband connection.

But I found that upgrading to Windows XP solved my problem.

Declan Moriaarty.

Old July 13th 03, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gus

"Junkmale" wrote in message
I just tried a powered USB hub and that made no difference, I'm afraid

Depends on the hub, some just take there power straight through from the
motherboard, some cheapest just don't provide enough. Best to ask if
suitable when buying.

But probably better getting a PCI card or if you can afford it[as others
have suggested] get a Ethernet Router/modem. Have a look at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/