bt broadband line only question

Old July 13th 03, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Default bt broadband line only question

hi

i`m probably going to go for the line only install of BT's broadband
(FINALLY become availble on my exchange) and i`m wondering what else
i need to get it all running on a single-pc setup.

i`m guessing an ADSL modem, and the line filter. that it? or do i

need
routers etc?

thanks
tim

if i wanted to hear from an asshole, i`d fart!

Seriously have you looked at any other ISP as BT Broadband is rather
pricey with a big lacking in services (no web space, no mail, no
newsgroups)

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old July 13th 03, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Draper

i did look into cable, ntl and telewest (??) and non of them supplied
broadband services in my area. hence why i havent got it yet.

also heard bad things bout NTL in my area/city. worse than bt from what they
say.

but i shall look for other services again now that a good few months has
passed since i last looked.

finally, which would be better to get, a firewall or a router?

i`m a gamer, and play on novaworld which dont like firewalls/hidden IP#
setups. it HAS to have a direct line to talk with the novaworld servers

Old July 13th 03, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In an article dated Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:45:03 +0100,
CB made the earth move by saying......

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:26:26 +0100 and in article
, Brains said...
No problem here, use Claranet for mail and news via BTBB only 9.99 per
year or 29.99 if you want binaries.

That £9.99 p/a option does not exist anymore iirc.

It's still on their site and linked from the BT broadband site.
--
Mugwump

To reply, replace INVALID with pipex{dot}com
Old July 13th 03, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In an article dated Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:16:55 +0100,
CB made the earth move by saying......

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:57:12 +0100 and in article
, Mugwump said...
In an article dated Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:45:03 +0100,
CB made the earth move by saying......

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:26:26 +0100 and in article
, Brains said...
No problem here, use Claranet for mail and news via BTBB only 9.99 per
year or 29.99 if you want binaries.

That £9.99 p/a option does not exist anymore iirc.

It's still on their site and linked from the BT broadband site.

Got the URL by any chance?

http://www.uk.clara.net/btbroadband/

Old July 13th 03, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:30:49 UTC, "Tim Draper"
wrote:

i did look into cable, ntl and telewest (??) and non of them supplied
broadband services in my area. hence why i havent got it yet.
but i shall look for other services again now that a good few months has
passed since i last looked.

I think you *may* be missing the point. You're talking about cable
(which you can't get) vs. BT (which you can).

What you haven't really indicated is that you realise you still have a
choice. You can get broadband from *many* ISPs, all delivered via your
BT line. You do *not* have to get it from BT (and BT don't give a
particularly good deal or service).

Apologies if you do realise this...but do check at www.adslguide.org fr
alternatives to BT. Cheaper and/or better IMO.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Old July 14th 03, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:17:14 UTC, "Tim Draper"
wrote:

your talking about ISP service? ie email, webspace, newsgroups etc?
or are you talking about about the actual adsl physical line?

Both. The physical line is BT's but you NEVER pay BT for the ADSL part.
You pay an ISP. One such (bad value) ISP is BT Broadband, because all
you get is the connection. Other ISPs charge as low as (say) 18.99 but
you get the ADSL and the ISP services for that. They then pay a
proportion of that to BT to provide the service.

either way, i do know that theres other providers, and i will look into it.
i`ve been with BTo on ISDN since i got isdn 2yrs ago or so, and rarely had
problems. problems usually due to server maintenence (upgrades) and peak
time slowdowns. none of the less, i might try another ISP if they do trial
periods or i can cancel the contract to see how their service compares.

The ADSL service will be identical, since it is the same servuce. But if
it goes wrong, BTB are no better at talking to BT to get it fixed than
any other ISP. And you will still have to pay extra for email, news etc.
which is usually included with most ISPs for a charge a good deal less
than BTB.

BTB bank on this misunderstanding.....rememebr the wire and the exchange
and much of the network are the same.

oh, and i`m going with bt broadbland cuz i can get a small staff discount

Down to 18.99???? I doubt it...even then I'd warn you off!

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Old July 14th 03, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:32:18 +0100, "Kraftee"
wrote:

hi

i`m probably going to go for the line only install of BT's

broadband
(FINALLY become availble on my exchange) and i`m wondering what

else
i need to get it all running on a single-pc setup.

i`m guessing an ADSL modem, and the line filter. that it? or do i
need routers etc?

thanks
tim

if i wanted to hear from an asshole, i`d fart!

Seriously have you looked at any other ISP as BT Broadband is

rather
pricey with a big lacking in services (no web space, no mail, no
newsgroups)

No problem here, use Claranet for mail and news via BTBB only 9.99

per
year or 29.99 if you want binaries.

I am v impressed with the service I had from both since March 2003.
The service was down for 90 mins one night in late March (Customer
Servces -were busy waited 40mins on their 0800 number- said the

whole
web was having problems) I tried my backup freeuk dialup account and
they were down also. The main benefit going direct with BT is no
middleman, got a problem BT sort it and can't blame someone else.

Wanna bet on that......

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old July 14th 03, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Draper

sorry....... bt broadband = adsl provider.... as opposed to NTL's broadband.

as for ISP, then i doubt even with a staff discount i can get it as cheap as
even £25, so i will look around for ISP.

rde at tavi.co.uk

Old July 27th 03, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Woolley

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:10:12 +0000 (UTC), "Tim Draper"
wrote:

sorry....... bt broadband = adsl provider.... as opposed to NTL's broadband.

as for ISP, then i doubt even with a staff discount i can get it as cheap as
even £25, so i will look around for ISP.

Are you a BT employee?

Try:

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/adslother.html

- Tarrif for BT employees £23.50.

Rob.

(Happy aaisp customer)
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old July 27th 03, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cyberdog

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:28:45 +0100, Robert Woolley
wrote:

Are you a BT employee?

Try:

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/adslother.html