(A bit) Help with Wannadoo or a French ISP that offers static IP address.

Old July 14th 03, 03:28 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

Default (A bit) Help with Wannadoo or a French ISP that offers static IP address.

"Hugh Pritchard" wrote in message
t...
Hi all. Sorry this is a bit Off Topic but as a knowledgeable bunch I hoped
someone might have some experience of dealing with ISPs from abroad too.

A company I am doing some work for wants to setup a VPN between offices in
London and Paris using Broadband. Getting a service here has been no

problem
but Paris is proving a bit tricky.

We have approached France Telecom who have put us onto Wannado, who I

gather
is their ISP arm. They have provided us with a service called 'Extense'
which they claim has a static address. After many emails and phone calls
back and forth they said they couldn't tell us what the IP address we

would
be given until we had connected our computer! We had explained we didn't
want to connect a PC but a VPN device and they said they wouldn't support
anything except a PC but we would get a static IP address.

When we received the 'info pack' it contained a CD with the software and
sure enough we got our address. However it turns out the device Wannadoo
provide is a bridge and not a router and so the IP address and the Default
G/W on the PC are the same with a subnet mask of all 1's. This wont work

in
our device as it wont accept a subnet mask of all 1's.

Question; Has anyone got the Wannadoo 'Extense' product to work with
anything other than a Windows PC or does anyone know of an ISP that

provides
a service in Paris that will allocate a static address suitable for use in

VPN device?

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I lived in Paris for some time so I decided to check out the ADSL situation
over there. First thing to note is that seemingly, contrary to the UK,
upload on most connections (128, 512 and 1024) is set to 128K, which may
affect your choice for VPN... There is one provider that gives a 1024/256
connection (EasyConnect with the "Puissance" pack) and you can request a
free static IP address. I didn't see any provider offering a 256K upload
though.

I found most of the information at http://www.dslvalley.com which seems to
be an equivalent to adslguide.org.uk. This page gives you a listing of all
French ISP's http://www.dslvalley.com/offre_fai.html (not as many as the UK
by a long way) and detailed information of the offers they provide,
including whether a static IP is available.

Although the choice of ISPs seems small, actual rollout in France is far
more advanced as can be seen in this page:
http://www.dslvalley.com/deploiement.html.

Your Paris office should be able to use this website, but if there are any
language problems, I'd happy to help where I can.

It looks as though info on the sight is fairly regularly updated, but maybe
someone living in Paris currently can offer more insight.

regards,

James