Switching ADSL supplier

Old July 14th 03, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

Default Switching ADSL supplier

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Harry The Horse wrote:

I am currently with ClaraNet but am considering switching ISP because of
Clara's inability to come up with a consumer 1Mbit product. What pitfalls
are there in switching supplier? Do all suppliers have equal coverage over
the country? My connection is very reliable & that might be down to Clara
or the fact that I am very close to my exchange. Obviously I'd rather have
a rock solid 512 connection than an unreliable 1024 connection!

My understanding is that while you can migrate between suppliers with
little or no downtime changing from a 512K service to a 1Mb service will
always be treated as a cease and reprovide by BT so there is an increased
risk of considerable downtime.

I've just processed such an order this minute.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/ ADSL Broadband available now

Old July 14th 03, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

CB wrote:
Quick question, having used NTL's cable modem service for nigh on 2
years now, can someone please tell me why BT dont consider using config
files for routers/modems to restrict the speed, instead of having to
manually do it at the exchange??

What is BT's reasoning for not using the same, simple, method NTL
employ?

Personally, I'm not too sure. It's probably a function of their two
different networks and the best way to manage it. Cable's choice of
restricting configuration to the NTE is simpler but has its security
implications...

There is the also technological limitation that with xDSL you need to be
connected up to a DSLAM, whereas Cable simply involves a cable run from the
green box at the end of your road.

Regards,
Mike

Old July 14th 03, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

CB wrote:
It's probably a function of their two
different networks and the best way to manage it. Cable's choice of
restricting configuration to the NTE is simpler but has its security
implications...

Well, agreed. However, I know NTL run a series of checks with their
cable modem before allowing you to log onto their network. One of those
is to check that your modem config file settings match what they think
they should be their end.

Yep. You can poll the cablemodem on its internal IP address (they all have
a 172.* IP address that is accessible from their local net) via SNMP and
find out what speed the interfaces are set at. It happened a lot in the US
and I believe that uncapping your cablemodem over there can now actually
land you in prison in some states...

Regards,
Mike

Old July 14th 03, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In an article dated Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:39:04 +0100,
CB made the earth move by saying......

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:33:48 +0100 and in article KUBQa.47831
, PlusNet Support Team said...
CB wrote:
Quick question, having used NTL's cable modem service for nigh on 2
years now, can someone please tell me why BT dont consider using config
files for routers/modems to restrict the speed, instead of having to
manually do it at the exchange??

What is BT's reasoning for not using the same, simple, method NTL
employ?

Personally, I'm not too sure.

Ah, good to know I'm not the only one confused

It's probably a function of their two
different networks and the best way to manage it. Cable's choice of
restricting configuration to the NTE is simpler but has its security
implications...

Well, agreed. However, I know NTL run a series of checks with their
cable modem before allowing you to log onto their network. One of those
is to check that your modem config file settings match what they think
they should be their end.

There is the also technological limitation that with xDSL you need to be
connected up to a DSLAM, whereas Cable simply involves a cable run from the
green box at the end of your road.

Fair enough.

Cheers for your reply

You must remember that NTL supply the modem, so they only have to deal
with the 2 or possibly 3 different makes that they have supply.
On ADSL look at the wide choice of modems and routers that would have to
be dealt with. You will also have the problem that an XYZ router will
possibly have to have a different config file to a rebadged XYZ because
they have done some subtle changes to the onboard code.
--
Mugwump

To reply, replace INVALID with pipex{dot}com
Old July 15th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message
Jason Clifford wrote:
My understanding is that while you can migrate between suppliers with
little or no downtime changing from a 512K service to a 1Mb service will
always be treated as a cease and reprovide by BT so there is an

increased
risk of considerable downtime.

I've just processed such an order this minute.

Yep. As it stands, any change between BT account types facilitates a

cease
and a reprovide (e.g., 5-10 days downtime as the line is reprovisioned).

believe BT are planning to improve the process somewhat, especially with
regards to regrades between Office products (20:1) as they are essentially
connected to the same bit of kit at the exchange, whereas a 50:1 - 20:1
regrade involves a physical disconnection and reconnection.

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support for Home & Business

Any news on the ridiculous cease and provide where the user wants to go
from engineer installed to wires only ?
How they (BT) can justify that ?

Just my personal gripe because I was offline for nearly 2 weeks.

eric

Old July 15th 03, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:16:04 +0100, "Eric Parker"
wrote:

Any news on the ridiculous cease and provide where the user wants to go
from engineer installed to wires only ?
How they (BT) can justify that ?

Just my personal gripe because I was offline for nearly 2 weeks.

Hi Eric,

This does still require a cease and reprovide, but because the
residential BT Install and Self Install products cost exactly the same
amount now, and the business products are almost the same, this is a
question that rarely arises. Migrations can also be handled between
ISPs without any additional inconvenience.

The only time when people tend to move products is if they actually
move house or have their line ceased for another reason. In this case
we obviously suggest the re-provision is done onto a self install
product to save the much larger re-activation charges applied to BT
installed products.

Regards,

Ian
--