DHCP server with BT Broadband

Old July 14th 03, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tapio Kohonen

Default DHCP server with BT Broadband

Hello
So I am using BT Broadband, it is now configured so that
the ADSL modem is router and acts as DHCP server. So of
course the home computers get IPs from the range which
has been set in my router.
The question: Do I have to have the DHCP server myself
with BT Broadband. In my previous ADSL setup (in a
different country) the DHCP server in my modem was disabled,
the IPs were allocated by the DHCP server of the ISP.
Could I have this kind of configuration with BT Broadband?
This is actually no problem right now, just wondering.

Tapio Kohonen
Old July 17th 03, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tapio Kohonen

"Kal Ross" wrote in message ...
It is more secure to have the router assigning IPs via DHCP and also
enabling Network Address Translation (NAT) so that your LAN computers share
a single WAN IP allocated by the provider..

I think you would need multiple static IPs to do what you are saying..or set
up the router as a bridge.

I recommend the former.

Regards.

Kal

"Tapio Kohonen" wrote in message
om...
Hello
So I am using BT Broadband, it is now configured so that
the ADSL modem is router and acts as DHCP server. So of
course the home computers get IPs from the range which
has been set in my router.
The question: Do I have to have the DHCP server myself
with BT Broadband. In my previous ADSL setup (in a
different country) the DHCP server in my modem was disabled,
the IPs were allocated by the DHCP server of the ISP.
Could I have this kind of configuration with BT Broadband?
This is actually no problem right now, just wondering.

Tapio Kohonen

Ok, this "bridged mode" seems to be what I am looking for.
But, I cannot find bridged mode option in my router/modem.
I wonder if bridged mode just cannot exist for RFC2364 mode?
Or, even if had router/modem with this option, would
it work with BT Broadband?
You may note that I'm really no expert on this...

Tapio
Old July 18th 03, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

BTBroadband only support the usage of a single dynamically assigned IP
address. If you want more IP's they require you to use a BTOpenworld
Business Broadband Product... If you need multiple IP's, I would recommend
going with a provider such as Eclipse (www.eclipse.net.uk), Nildram
(www.nildram.net) or Zen (www.zenbroadband.com).

I'm on Zen and I can tell you that it's quite easy to setup and works like a
charm :P

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Martyn