Broadband advice

Old July 14th 03, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Default Broadband advice

I'm scheduled to receive BT Broadband on 21/8. I currently have two phone
lines and two ISP accounts (one with BT Internet).

I'm planning on stopping my second line and cancelling both of my current
ISP accounts. Does that make sense?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old July 14th 03, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie Grant

"Rev Adrian Kennard" wrote in message
Bobby wrote:
I'm scheduled to receive BT Broadband on 21/8. I currently have two

phone
lines and two ISP accounts (one with BT Internet).

I'm planning on stopping my second line and cancelling both of my

current
ISP accounts. Does that make sense?

Not wishing to be rude, but it makes sense if that is what you want to
achieve and makes no sense if that is not what you want to achieve.

Really, noone can say what "makes sense" for you without some idea of
what end result you are trying to obtain.

But if like the majority of us he simply wants to receive/ make calls whilst
on the internet or have a faster connection speed it makes perfect sense

Old July 14th 03, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Bobby" wrote in message
I'm scheduled to receive BT Broadband on 21/8. I currently have two phone
lines and two ISP accounts (one with BT Internet).

I'm planning on stopping my second line and cancelling both of my current
ISP accounts. Does that make sense?

Cheers.

Bobby

It would make sense to do neither until you are sure you line has/will pass
the line loss test.

Jc.

Old July 14th 03, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:11:58 +0100, "Bobby" wrote:

I'm scheduled to receive BT Broadband on 21/8. I currently have two phone
lines and two ISP accounts (one with BT Internet).

I'm planning on stopping my second line and cancelling both of my current
ISP accounts. Does that make sense?

I have no idea what you mean, but getting BT Broadband makes no sense
to me.

Andrew.
Old July 15th 03, 04:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Izi

Andrew,

I guess you are right !, Bobby, you should consider joining another ISP
(which are just batter then BT), try this link :www.adrenalist.com

Izi

Old July 15th 03, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh M Janus

"Izi" wrote in message
Andrew,

I guess you are right !, Bobby, you should consider joining another ISP
(which are just batter then BT), try this link :www.adrenalist.com

snipped

Why are other ISPs 'batter' than BT Broadband especially when BT Broadband
aren't an ISP anyway, more an IAP.

Do you mean BT Openworld, which is a completely different offering?

What is the bad record with BT Broadband that at least 1 other poster
mentioned?

Old July 15th 03, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:33:31 +0000 (UTC), "Hugh M Janus"
wrote:

What is the bad record with BT Broadband that at least 1 other poster
mentioned?

They don't have a bad record, but as you say they are an IAP and for
less money you can get a good ISP without the download limits.

Andrew.
Old July 15th 03, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh M Janus

wrote:

What is the bad record with BT Broadband that at least 1 other poster
mentioned?

They don't have a bad record, but as you say they are an IAP and for
less money you can get a good ISP without the download limits.

Thank you for clearing up the "bad record" statement, which appeared in this
thread.

I guess it's down to individual choice at the end of the day but, it seems
to annoy some people that BT Broadband is chosen by some and it annoys me
when some people seem to suggest the people like me are mad or at the very
least daft for choosing BT Broadband.

I have been with Bt Broadband since it started and never even come remotely
near the massive 1Gb per day limit myself and have had a constant connection
without a single thing to complain about.

Hugh

Old July 15th 03, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Bobby" wrote in message
I'm scheduled to receive BT Broadband on 21/8. I currently have two phone
lines and two ISP accounts (one with BT Internet).

I'm planning on stopping my second line and cancelling both of my current
ISP accounts. Does that make sense?

I would suggest downgrading your ISP accounts to a PAYG type (e.g. by using an
0345 or 0845 number) rather than cancelling them completely.

That way you will probably be able to continue to retrieve POP3 email whilst
connected to your ADSL ISP using your old email addresses.

You may need to dial the PAYG number every 3 months or so just to keep the
account live.

The again you may want to bin the accounts to avoid the spam you were getting.

Michael Chare

Old July 15th 03, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:51:42 UTC, "Bobby" wrote:

Doesn't the BT broadband service give me an e-mail account?

No...it gives you NOTHING except a very expensive connection.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..