ADSL Filter/Splitters: Sidetone

Old July 15th 03, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Laurence Taylor

Default ADSL Filter/Splitters: Sidetone

Mark Carver wrote:

Am I imagining it, or do these devices result in a
higher level of sidetone in the telephone's earpiece ?

It's possible, if the filter causes a niticeable drop in line voltage.
If the phone is electronic, low line voltage tends to increase the
seidetone - and some phones are very fussy.

--

rgds
LAurence

.... "Bother" said Pooh, when Windows crashed again
begin the search for better software
Old July 16th 03, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Phillip Deackes

In article , Cap Smith wrote:
I just swapped to Virgin net from BT. When I was on BT no line noise at
all. Now with virgin, voice calls are very bad! Please help.

This happened to me too. I switched to Tiscali and immediately got a lot
of hissing on voice calls. Tracked it down to my ADSL router. If I
switched that off, the noise went away. Never happened before. BT won't
help - they say the line checks out OK. I even switched calls back to
BT, but the line noise is still there.

I have just resigned myself to it. I don't know anyone with an adsl
modem I can try - I live in an NTL area so everyone I know on broadband
is with them.

I personally think something is wrong at the exchange. It may be related
to this thread . .

--
Phillip Deackes
UK
Old July 16th 03, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

In article , Cap
Smith wrote:
[...]

As I've already posted if you are sure that your equipment is not
faulty then report the line noise. Line noise can be generated by
very minor line faults which apparently (well so I've been told
anyway) can cause the line to become unbalanced.

If you can get a friend to pop round with his DSL kit & confirm the
noise is still there then you should be ok, of course remembering to
do the last test with only the one BT socket connected as it could be
one of your extensions (if you have any) which could the cause of your
problems. I've known minor earth contacts & HR connections to cause
the problem you are suffering from (of course you mustn't forget the
faulty DSL equipment as well)...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....